Rut Report?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lost Texan

Marksman
Reaction score
Hunted this morning and this evening a few miles east of 35 in Guthrie. Saw no deer both hunts. I did see a passle of Turkey though. Has the rut even started in the Guthrie area? We need some very cold weather (preferably snow) and the rut if it hasn't already happened.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yeah, I think many of the rifle only hunters might be kinda pissed they missed out on all the rut fun. Seems to be winding down where I'm at. Which brings me to my question... I've heard of a 2nd rut... What's up with that? Is it possible some does will not come into estrous until close to a month after the main rut? I've just heard that was possible and actually more common than not.

What do you all think?

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's true. Some does will come in late and the first blastocyst doesn't always stick. Just like with people. There's always a late rut, a little less activity though.

DreamingMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No action up in Perry. No sightings and only heard one shot, but it could have been a back fire on a pumpjack. I believe the peak of the rut is over.

Dreaming Man

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does that did not get bred the first time should come back into estrous I believe roughly 28 days later. In an area with a very high doe to buck ratio the second rut can be very productive but is not near as fun as round one.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You may not be seeing big bucks for a few reasons. Every jackass stomping around in the woods educates them pretty quickly and they don't see the light of day much. And possibly because they are in super thick cover locked down with a doe in estrus. I'm down in Antlers and have hunted every day for the past three weeks. Not seeing quiet as much as a week or two ago, but still seeing lots of activity. Had a very nice eight point directly under my stand yesterday morning hanging with three ladies. Pervert...

The deer aren't going to be hanging out with Tom Bodett down at Motel 6... they're in the woods and if you want one that's where you have to be too! Hunt smart, play the wind, wait for one of them to make a mistake and you might get a chance to take a pop shot at one.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Up in Grant county, it looks like the big bucks have had enough of the rut as of Sunday. None of them chasing around, but lots of the little forks are still getting the left overs.

bill allen

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother hunted all day and I hunted from about noon until dark but neither of us saw anything. It appears that we are in lockdown in our part of the world in Creek county. Very few tracks around the place. It happens like this every year. After the first couple of days of gun season we quit seeing deer for a while while the peak of the breeding takes place. What is happening with the rest of you guys?

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The does are in my back yard as I type this and they are alone. A week ago they were being chased and by Christmas they will be being chased again. Just FYI from a guy that watches deer every night in OKC.

Latest posts

Top Bottom