S&W 686 or Ruger GP100 - opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't go wrong. For a target/house gun I'd go with the 686. For a woods/hunting gun I'd go with the GP100. Decide on what you're going to use it for and that should tell you which one to keep.

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
sale the GP-100, if you find yourself missing it or shooting the S&W less then I have another GP-100 I will trade you for the Smith 686. Problem solved.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
thanks all. i am kinda leanin toward the gp100 based on feel alone. The 686 is a no lock and has an incredible trigger and a hogue grip, but it just doesn't win me over!

Well you just send that 686 on down here, I wouldn't want you to suffer with this issue between the two!!

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the 686 is the cream of the two, but if you are more of a utility rather than cosmetic kind of guy (like me) then that GP is probably the gun for you..I like them a lot. And if you like flirting with danger when reloading and like ammo somewhere nearer the max load +, then the gp100 is gonna be more forgiving for this.
Same argument with a redhawk or a model 29. No doubt the smith is prettier, MUCH nicer trigger and overall weapon, but investment is sever for a smith, and you will have a tough time tearing up a ruger.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't go wrong. For a target/house gun I'd go with the 686. For a woods/hunting gun I'd go with the GP100. Decide on what you're going to use it for and that should tell you which one to keep.

I think this right here is your answer. Keep them both, for different purposes.

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I disagree that the GP is any stronger than the 686. The strength arguments surfaced in relation to the K-frame guns. The L-frame guns were designed to alleviate this concern. The sheer bulk of the GP is not a true indicator of strength, its mostly a byproduct of the production method.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I disagree that the GP is any stronger than the 686. The strength arguments surfaced in relation to the K-frame guns. The L-frame guns were designed to alleviate this concern. The sheer bulk of the GP is not a true indicator of strength, its mostly a byproduct of the production method.

I agree with you 100%. The investment castings Ruger uses are not the stronger alloy, simply what fits the production system. They've had a few cracked receivers on some guns.
I heard of people shoot many thousands of heavy .357M in L frames with no ill effects. I can't say the same for a K frame .357 I had once (M-19) The L was designed for heavy use and from what I hear on the S&W forums it can take it.
It is better looking than the Ruger IMHO.

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the L-frame S&W revolvers were designed and marketed to compete with the COLT PYTHON,give it a good trigger & action job by a gunsmith that knows their stuff and you got a really great gun at half the cost of a python,yes the L guns are stronger than a K frame, but for a lot of heavy loads,i would rather put them through my GP100,you can bet that python owners dont subject their colts with a heavy diet of hot loads.and if i spent a lot of money upgrading my L-frame,i wouldnt be shooting cases of hot ammo throught it just to see how well it holds up,of just for the fun of it.different guns for different purposes.oh & FYI dont shoot a lot of 38 through your 357,some guy did this in a 6 inch python, informal shooting matches,200 rounds a month for 3 years,then went hunting with it using 357 ammo, two quick rounds put the deer down, went to unload gun, live ammo fell right out but the 2 empties had to be hammered out!! all that 38 shooting did flame erosion in the cylinder,and then 357 ammo was fired in it and expanded in to the 1/10 inch that was flame eroded, and left rough imprint on cases,making it hard to eject fired 357 cases.so now he owns a very accurate 38 python.if you shoot a whole lot of 38 then use a 38 not a 357.some people use a accurate 6 inch 38 for small game hunting instead of 22, they got tired of seeing game jump up and run off after being hit with 22, doesnt happen with a 38 158gr wadcutter at 800fps.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For what it's worth...if I was looking to crank out hot loads I would move up to the N frame.
Plus I suspect that L frame will hold up just fine to hot loads also.

Buy the one that feels good in your hand.

Latest posts

Top Bottom