S&W 686 or Ruger GP100 - opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h8ns8n

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I find myself having 1 of each and liking both but they are just to similar for me to keep both....l.so I was hoping that someone with knowledge and not just opinion could weigh in with pros and cons on each. Thanks

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I only have experience with the GP, but having shopped for the 686, I'll offer some opinions on it.

GP100
Pros
- Super duper heavy duty. If it fits in the chamber, shoot with impunity. (not quite, but you get the point).
- Complete disassembly a snap.
- Grip "peg" offers the availability of wraparound rubber grips, which help manage recoil on above mentioned fire breathing capability.

Cons
- Fewer aftermarket parts and grips vs. the S&W
- Not as smooth as the S&W, and for comparable 'smith costs, never will be. However, the surfaces in the GP can be worked by yourself with care and patience to smooth it up considerably over factory.

S&W 686
Pros
- smoother from factory, and can be made much better.
- can remove cylinder with single screw, doesn't require complete dissasembly like the Ruger.
- aftermarket options

Cons
- not quite as sturdy as the Ruger, but unless you shoot a TON, you'll likely never notice.
- more complicated internals
- new ones have the lock
- higher cost vs the Ruger for comparable condition

But I'm sure you're aware of the above. The biggest difference one way or the other to me is the grips. The wood grips available for the S&W are much better looking and feeling IMO, but the factory rubber/wood grips on the Ruger are much better for extended shooting sessions, or for magnum shooting.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have both also.

S&W 686: Highly tunable and very strong action. A good smith can make most any S&W action like greased glass.

Ruger GP100: Built like a tank. I don't know if anyone could shoot this gun loose. Good action but not as tunable as the S&W, certainly usable though.

It's just going to boil down to what your intent for the gun is. Resale value favors the S&W but neither are going to be collectors items, there's just too many of each out there. Both are fine guns, I'd keep the one you're most comfortable with.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you're going to try and destroy it with repeated hot loads, keep the Ruger. For everything else, the S&W is better. I've owned two GP's, a 586 and a 686 BTW.

h8ns8n

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
thanks all. i am kinda leanin toward the gp100 based on feel alone. The 686 is a no lock and has an incredible trigger and a hogue grip, but it just doesn't win me over!

Latest posts

Top Bottom