S&W 686 plus or Colt Python

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Which would you pick? I’ve had a 686 plus and liked it, but I’ve never even picked up a Python. Just gonna use for home protection and the range. Also, would you go with 4 or 6 inch?

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Neither one of the newer models blows my skirt up much, but I do occasionally carry a new(ish) 686 with the internal lock...so I guess I'm somewhat contradicting myself. Mine has a barrel that is over-clocked, but it certainly smooth with some trigger work and is as accurate as I can shoot with a broad variety of ammo.

I've handled several new Pythons, and will attest that each one had superior lockup (hard to say whether that will loosen up a bit). Factory DA pull is a bit better, but factory SA pull is worse. The cost-cutting processes of the new model are what kept me from buying one.

I'd probably lean towards the 686+ because of the extra round, and would hang my decision on that feature alone. 4 inches is pretty easy to carry OWB under a heavy garment, but I've only concealed mine a half dozen times...usually I open carry it. A hot magnum load with a 125gr bullet is pretty impressive with both blast and flash in the shorter barrel, so keep that in mind. I shot mine twice at an indoor range in VA (where I was stationed when I bought it), and each time I had several people want to know what kind of .44 I had. 4 inches is certainly easier to bring onto target quickly one-handed too, and since you're going to use it for HD, I'm assuming you'll have a light source in the other hand.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I must get Lemons or maybe I am too picky.
My S&W L frame 686 Talo with 7" barrel had a pinch in the barrel where the barrel is in the frame.
Google that and it is a common issue.

Shooting cast bullets and you slug the bore and find at the frame the bullet gets hard to press through.
After Fire lapping the barrel that restriction is gone.

Accuracy with cast bullets is excellent now.
Would I suggest someone buy one--- NO.
Not unless you wish to work it over or just shoot jacketed loads and do not care so much about accuracy.

Ruger New Model Blackhawk Bisely 45 colt I had got the same treatment as the barrel was smaller at the frame. Google that and seems they are all that way.
The Ruger cylinder throats were all over the place also. Unacceptable.

If it was my money and I was trying to decide between the 2 you posted I would get the Python
and cross my fingers and hope it is not like my other recent revolver purchases.

I know why many can't get cast bullets to group and give up and just shoot jacketed.

My other 357 is German made HW357 6" and no restriction where barrel meets the frame and all cylinders are exactly the same diameter.
I really expected at least that level of craftsmanship from Ruger or S&W.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I must get Lemons or maybe I am too picky.
My S&W L frame 686 Talo with 7" barrel had a pinch in the barrel where the barrel is in the frame.
Google that and it is a common issue.

Shooting cast bullets and you slug the bore and find at the frame the bullet gets hard to press through.
After Fire lapping the barrel that restriction is gone.

Accuracy with cast bullets is excellent now.
Would I suggest someone buy one--- NO.
Not unless you wish to work it over or just shoot jacketed loads and do not care so much about accuracy.

Ruger New Model Blackhawk Bisely 45 colt I had got the same treatment as the barrel was smaller at the frame. Google that and seems they are all that way.
The Ruger cylinder throats were all over the place also. Unacceptable.

If it was my money and I was trying to decide between the 2 you posted I would get the Python
and cross my fingers and hope it is not like my other recent revolver purchases.

I know why many can't get cast bullets to group and give up and just shoot jacketed.

My other 357 is German made HW357 6" and no restriction where barrel meets the frame and all cylinders are exactly the same diameter.
I really expected at least that level of craftsmanship from Ruger or S&W.
The tight spot in the barrel is precisely why I like the older threaded and pinned guns. I had a 6 inch model 19 that had the later pressed in barrel. It was also over clocked a bit and that always bothered me so I traded it. It was accurate though. I had a target on my shop wall for years that was an inch and a half group at a bagged 30 yards

Revolvers4Life

S&W Collector
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m a huge Smith and Wesson revolver guy so I’m going to pick the Smith every time. But in all honesty the 686 is probably my favorite revolver, you can’t go wrong with it.

this is my pre-lock national match 5” unfluted 686. One of only 500 made

445740F4-8469-4064-AEDB-C2BAD670C7CC.jpeg

jhb33rd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carried a Smith Model 19 for several years. Then switched to my 686-3. (Back in the 80's) It seamed a lot heavier and I didn't like the L Frame. Went back to the 19. The Colt turns a different direction than the Smith, that would take some getting use too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom