S&W 686 plus or Colt Python

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My colt anaconda cost me less than my all but one of my sw revolvers. Now not liking the looks of a colt da revolver… That’s funny. Blued pythons are a thing of beautify and I don’t like blued guns.

Wow! I think that makes my decision easy. I don’t want a revolver with that heavy of an SA trigger. I think I’ll start looking into the S&W 686 or 686 Competitor. Thanks! Damn I’ve always loved the look of the Python.
Not a deal breaker for me. You know trigger pull can be heavy or light. That is why we have Gun Smiths.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just heard last night that the SA trigger on the new Python is 6lbs. Anyone know if that’s true?

Mine doesn't feel like 6 lbs. 4.5 to 5 maybe. Not 6 lbs. But that's not measured by anything other than my highly calibrated trigger finger.

I don't have a 686. But I have an older 70s vintage 29 with an outstanding trigger in SA and DA. The new Python is lighter, smoother and has no creep or over-travel, unlike the Smith. Granted, it's minor, but it's there. In terms of triggers, between my guns at least, the Colt wins hands down.

And, no... Emphatic "No". Before anyone even suggests it, I'm not having anyone work on my old Smith. It's not that big of a deal to me.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Found a snake in the woods...

B sm.jpg

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine doesn't feel like 6 lbs. 4.5 to 5 maybe. Not 6 lbs. But that's not measured by anything other than my highly calibrated trigger finger.

I don't have a 686. But I have an older 70s vintage 29 with an outstanding trigger in SA and DA. The new Python is lighter, smoother and has no creep or over-travel, unlike the Smith. Granted, it's minor, but it's there. In terms of triggers, between my guns at least, the Colt wins hands down.

And, no... Emphatic "No". Before anyone even suggests it, I'm not having anyone work on my old Smith. It's not that big of a deal to me.

My feelings exactly and trigger problems can be resolved by a Gunsmith.

Latest posts

Top Bottom