S&W Classics Revolver Line

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Save money and look for a true classic in nice shape.

The issue isn't just the lock. The bluing that Smith & Wesson has been using the last few years is different. Ammoniated cleaners, like Hoppes #9, will strip the bluing.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
never owned one with a lock and never will. only have three that don't have a pinned barrel also.
66 snub
638-2
victory model
586 no dash
29-2 nickel 4 inch
38 terrier x2
32 terrier
36 snub
34 snub
prolly one or two that i'm forgetting
zipty6 got it right. the true classics are nicer guns and don't really cost any more.
ant-lock evangelist!

Rolando

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buying one of those classics is like buying anything that is marketed as a "collector's edition". Lots of authentic classics with pinned barrels and none of that lock nonsense out there. Shop around and get the read deal and you will be happier in the long run.

HiPower

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they went back to the original design, kept the price where it is even, they'd sell more than they could make and make more profit on them too.
If this was true, they'd still be in regular production. They aren't....and there's a reason....people aren't buying them, or any other revolver with the possible exception of Ruger SA's. Too expensive to make with the labor rates as they are here in the U.S. Thank the environazi's for the crap blue jobs.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
never owned one with a lock and never will. only have three that don't have a pinned barrel also.
66 snub
638-2
victory model
586 no dash
29-2 nickel 4 inch
38 terrier x2
32 terrier
36 snub
34 snub
prolly one or two that i'm forgetting
zipty6 got it right. the true classics are nicer guns and don't really cost any more.
ant-lock evangelist!

Your list is kind of why I'm glad S&W is mucking this up. If they released a classic line without the lock. I'd probably lean towards a "collect the whole set" mentality and I just don't need that right now. :D

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If this was true, they'd still be in regular production. They aren't....and there's a reason....people aren't buying them, or any other revolver with the possible exception of Ruger SA's. Too expensive to make with the labor rates as they are here in the U.S. Thank the environazi's for the crap blue jobs.

Everytime I go in H&H they have a nice selection of the classic line and their inventory always seems to be changing. Based on that and what the reaction would be on the S&W forums I'm pretty sure they are selling just fine and sales would go up if they ditched the lock. You are correct to a point though. It's hard to justify on paper expending capital on new CNC machines and they have their capacity covered now with M&P pistols and rifles. They make less margin on them I'm sure and they just don't care about selling more. As it is all the revolvers are made a a little fenced off corner of their plant.

Latest posts

Top Bottom