S&W Model 38-1 Info?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Found a 38-1 and was just curious if any of you had the books with date ranges and stuff in it. The serial number is BDW50xx. Last two numbers available upon PM request. Any info is appreciated.

Also, what about +p in this gun?

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like it was made around 1988. That s/n doesn't line up with the info that I have but the 38-1 was intro'd in '88. As far as +P in it, I'd be careful since it is an alloy frame. I'll keep digging on info.

Edit: See below. My bro beat me to it. ;)

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Standard Catalog of s&w shows the 38-1 in 1988 and 89.according to the book may of 89 for your gun.did not become +p rated until 97.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm, '89 and it is still in 90%+ condition. I might just have to buy this guy.

Yes, you should.

I've had guns come and go. I've owned expensive Sigs and cheap Rugers. I've owned as many revolvers as I have autos. I've owned every caliber you could think of except for maybe a .50 AE. Other than the Mossberg 590 Mrs GED bought me for our 15th anniversary and the Smith & Wesson "Victory" model .38 Special my dad gave me this past Christmas, the model 38 Airweight Bodyguard I got from one of our members here about a year ago, is the one gun I will NEVER sell or trade.

It's that good.

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really neat gun, I had one and let it go - major mistake. while I would not shoot a lot of +p's through it, I would not hesitate to load it up with +p's for carry.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Really neat gun, I had one and let it go - major mistake. while I would not shoot a lot of +p's through it, I would not hesitate to load it up with +p's for carry.

Correct,S&W says you can shoot limited amounts of +p.Use it for SD and shoot ball or reloads for practice. Steve

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The mod 38\49 is one of my favorite S&Ws. It won't win any beauty contests but it is a great design and allows some flexibility that a DA-only revolver doesn't allow. I hope to have one someday.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's mine. It starts again.....:w000t:

ai306.photobucket.com_albums_nn269_dustingaunder_Guns_20and_20Related_18e79482.jpg

[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom