S&W Model 442 range review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took my new S&W Model 442 out to the range this morning to see how it shot and felt. I wanted to at least give that model one more chance.

This is the second 442 I have owned. The first was one I bought from Bud's about 2 1/2 years ago and wasn't a pleasant shooting experience.

That 442 caused great pain to the bone or nerve or something in the web of my right shooting hand just to the right of my thumb joint. I tried to like it and tolerate the pain, but after taking sometimes weeks for the swelling and discomfort to go away it found a new owner. I do have some arthritis in my hands, so that probably makes me more susceptible to the recoil than someone without it.

I wanted to keep the small boot grips on the gun that came with it since it makes the gun so easy for small pocket holster carry, so I tried it out as it came. I was going to make a concerted effort to keep from letting the bare metal at the top of the frame grip lie against my thumb joint as it probably did when I shot one in 2016.

What I found was my revolver grip had changed since shooting back then and the grip I use now holds the gun firmer and lower on the grip than when I was first started shooting guns in 2016 again after a 20 year hiatus. That grip kept the recoil down today and didn't pound the joint like I remembered the first 442 doing.

I went through 60 rounds of WWB 130 grain .38 Special while tracking my target results from 15, 21, 30, and 40 feet away. 15 and 21 feet away the groupings were excellent, while the 30 and 40 feet distances still hit within the colored circles on the target.

So far, so good as far as not having any residual results in my hand from shooting today. I plan on going out again to the range tomorrow morning with a couple of folks and will shoot the rest of the 100 round box, but it won't be an "all the time" range gun like the first 442 was. I will shoot my Model 36 revolver and 9mm pistol most of the time at the range as I have been, but will shoot the 442 on occasion to ensure I am comfortable with it as my pocket holster carry.

Last edited:

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was a HUGE fan of the 442 until I shot a Ruger LCR. Tons of difference. Not only is the LCR more pleasant to shoot with it's Hogue grip, it's more accurate than the little Smith.

But at 3 bills, I'm thinking I might pick up another little 442...just for old times sake.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I still have a 637 that I just fell in love with. I always said the pain in my hand "lets me know it's working!" Got diagnosed with RA a few years back and had to get something heavier to absorb the recoil so I bought an older Smith 640 from another member here on OSA. It's not rated +p but now I can practice enough with standard pressure loads that I still get good shot placement. GED is right on the money with the Hogue boot grip. I have them on most of my Smiths (except for a couple fancy ones I got from Altamont). They're definitely not as hard on your hands as the standard boot.

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been out to the gun range a couple more times since getting my 442.

I considered changing the factory grips to a larger pair that covered the metal portion of the rear of the grip based on my not so comfortable experience a couple of years ago, but after putting a pair on to see how they felt and fit and not liking the increase in size (plus having no issues after the first time out this year) I left the original grips on.

I am not using the 442 as a range gun like I did with my first one, but I do want to shoot it enough to ensure it will work well and shoot accurately if I need it. I don't know if the lack of issues with my hand with this 442 is from how I hold a revolver now, that I am not running boxes of .38 through it on range trips, or a combination of both but based on my three range trips of 60, 30, and 30 rounds each time with no after effects to my hand or thumb I am keeping it as it came from S&W.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Somebody has some .38 wadcuttter target ammo for sale in the classifieds. Go buy it before I do. Shooting that in your Airweight J frame is night/day better than even standard pressure loads. Seriously try some wadcutters. You'll be glad you did.

And GED is right about the LCR. But I snagged a 642 at a deal I couldn't pass up. I doubt we ever see the LCRs as cheap.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Somebody has some .38 wadcuttter target ammo for sale in the classifieds. Go buy it before I do. Shooting that in your Airweight J frame is night/day better than even standard pressure loads. Seriously try some wadcutters. You'll be glad you did.

And GED is right about the LCR. But I snagged a 642 at a deal I couldn't pass up. I doubt we ever see the LCRs as cheap.

Right on about the wadcutters and they are also a good self defense round out of the little short barrel. I like me some wadcutters alright.

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went round and round to find the right grips for my 442, that felt good for me, I went somewhat old school; Found a set of Pachmyar Compac's without the Pachmyar metal logo -- larger than the boot grip, a little thicker also, the rubber works for me, my hands sweat a lot during the summer. The out of the box trigger on the Ruger .38 LCR ( don't own the .357 magnum) one of the best, I have ever shot -- the .22lr LCR trigger is NOT very desirable -- practice !!!. As I get older, I'm a little more (a lot more) sensitive to recoil. I have a S&W model 64 with 3 inch barrel, that is excellent to shoot, buts its seems to weight as much as a boat anchor.
I am on my third j frame, 2 -- 642 and this 442, was trying to find the right grip combination; lock vs no-lock; black vs silver finish; even had the 642 with the Crimson Trace laser. I didn't have the patients to work these decisions before I bought and sold. My 442 is still a blast to shoot !!
How can you be a Smith & Wesson revolver guy without a "J" frame -- Its like being a 1911 guy without a Colt !!
Good luck on your S&W 442 !!

Latest posts

Top Bottom