Little help identifying S&W Model

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
S&W M&P (pre model 10)
the C series serial number Post WWII and the serial number places it at the high end of 1948 to 1952 production range.

It's not exceptionally valuable, but it's a classic and should be cared for.
You should have no trouble finding comparable sales on the usual online suspects.

It appears to be in beautiful condition.
If you chose to shoot it, remember that S&W advises that pre-model 10 series 38's should not be fired with +P or +P+ ammo.

The ones I have fired had a light crisp trigger pull if you shoot them single action.
Its not unsafe, but If your used to Glocks and similar long heavy trigger pulls, you may have developed a few bad habits that could bite you if you shoot it single action.
Back to basics - Finger off the trigger until you're on target.

sushi & pistols

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you all! He asked me what it is worth. I think he is just wanting to know the value of what he’s passing in to his grandson. I had no idea what to tell him, not even knowing the model. You’ve given me what I need. Thanks!
Thank you all! He asked me what it is worth. I think he is just wanting to know the value of what he’s passing in to his grandson. I had no idea what to tell him, not even knowing the model. You’ve given me what I need. Thanks!
Value is subjective LOL some folks want to put an astronomical price on them but a fair price to me would be 500-550.00 I have probably 7 or 8 model 10s/pre model 10s they are good sturdy/shooting guns that is why they have been on S&W lineup for ever. One of those "if it ain't broken why change it"?

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Ahall, Seen plenty by now with the info provided here. Wish that on the sold listings they told prices. But I see them ‘up there’ in comparable condition. Even one with the box but it was sold.

Just went over to my FiL’s to give him a hair cut and took a couple more photos since I didn’t do a good job in places. I’ll post them when I get a cox issue resolved. Right side of the barrel says “38 S.&W. Special CTG.”

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great looking firearm considering the age.

It appears we have a new group of S&W experts. I have one with a story behind it to open in another thread. After posts on OSA and S&W forum, nobody has been able to positively identify it.
Some thought it was a "special".

Latest posts

Top Bottom