S&W Model 59

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter_55

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had a S&W Model 59 for about 25 years now. It was my first Pistol and I had had no previous experience. I have since purchased a Glock 22, XD Sub-compact in both the 9mm and 40.

I have found I dislike the fact that the Model 59 will not shoot if the magazine falls out. I can imagine that it was thought to be a safety feature.

I have thought about selling it and getting a Glock 17, but have had many second thoughts as this is a piece of History that I have. Do any of you have any experience with this handgun and should I keep it?:patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot:

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a S&W M-39 and really miss it, and it was one of the old ones with high polish blue and walnut grips. There are a lot of good defensive hanguns out there that work fine, the problem is, they all pretty much look the same to me.

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have found I dislike the fact that the Model 59 will not shoot if the magazine falls out. I can imagine that it was thought to be a safety feature.

Believe it or not, there are documented cases of this feature saving lives. I dont care for the idea, but it should be summarily dismissed.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The 459 has an alloy frame I believe. Someone correct me if wrong.

The original 59 had an alloy frame also, so the differences are minor. The 459 designation would have come about due to the 649, which is a stainless steel framed gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom