Saiga conversion, need help drilling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okshooter6

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am in the process of converting my saiga .223. I am having a problem drilling a hole through the trigger guard and trigger plate. I have removed the trigger plate from the receiver with the trigger guard still being attached to the plate due to the spot weld holding it on. Here is the page I am on with the conversion:
http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/Step_3.htm

I really want to re-use the trigger guard but can't for the life of me drill through it. I have used 3 different drill bits. 1/8th steel, 1/8th kobalt titanium, 1/8th dewalt cobalt bit and haven't had any luck at all getting a hole started. I have created a pilot hole as best i can but the metal seems to be incredibly hard unlike the soft rivets that I had to drill out to remove the trigger guard. I have tried slow speeds, high speed, drill press, hand drill and nothing seems to work. Wondering if it would be best to take it to a machine shop?

Teeeroy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sure hope you get it figured out, because I wanted to try and convert my 7.62 this winter. Don't know if I will if you run into too many snags, though.

okshooter6

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@Rob72 - Looks like I have lunch plans with KP, thanks for the tip.
@TeeeRoy - With an exception of this problem the conversion looks fairly straight forward. Once i get past this it should be smooth sailing.

okshooter6

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@Rob72 - You are the man! First off James at KP is awesome. I called to make sure they had the carbide bit in and when I got there I left my wallet at home. I told him I would be right back with money and he told me i looked trustworthy. He let me take the bits home and told me to just call him when I got home with my debit card. Amazing service. And the carbide drillbit cut through the metal like it was butter. Problem solved!

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Spot anneal with an oxy/acc torch. Use a small (0 or 00 or 000) welding tip. Just enough heat to turn the shinny spot a blue color, don't let it get away from you though, take your time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom