Drilling into tile

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I’m trying to mount a shower door. Using a 1/4” Bosch carbide tile bit. Ceramic tile. Very Slow speed, hitting it with water from a sprayer every few seconds. I cannot get through this dang tile for some reason. Drilled on one hole for over 3 minutes. Why? Does the bit just suck? Suggestions on a good bit to use? I really need to get this door hung today.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ceramic is about as abrasion resistant as it comes and don't really cut either. I tried to drill a simple drain hole in a ceramic pot once and gave up. Might could get it with a hammer type drill if you went easy but it might crack if you push to hard.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I drill thru glass bottles all the time with these glass drill bits. Sometimes takes awhile if the glass base is really thick. Thin glass cracks pretty easy tho. You might try one on a spare piece of tile and see how it goes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 0

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I mounted a grab bar in our shower and went thru several kinds of bits before finally getting it done. It's a real PITA.
There are you tube videos about it and they usually make it look easier than it was for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom