SASS Cowboy Shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know about up in B-Ville, but there's an active SASS group at Red Castle Gun Club north of Sand Springs. A couple of their members are members of this forum as well, I believe.

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oil capitol rod and gun club SE tulsa holds CAS matches as does OKCGC if you want to drive a little, also a there's a range at stillwater.
Guns needed are 2 single action pistols 32 cal or larger up to 45C a center fire lever rifle in a pistol caliber, lead bullets only NO jacketed
and a SXS double barrel shot gun in 16, 20 or 12 gage or the 1897 Winchester pump or 1887 lever action shot gun in 10 or 12 gage.
There's another range in NW tulsa that holds CAS matches, Red Castle.
Check the SASS web sight news letter they list all SASS matches with a contact phone #.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My family are all SASS Shooters, my alias is Hurricane Deck (100366), my wife is Cherokee Miss and my daughter is Purdy Tall. We attend both monthly matches at the OKCGC most months. and have traveled the state shooting. The sport is great, the folks are fantastic and the hardware is COOL! (if you ask me, but I may be biased)

As far as hardware, I shoot a set of SASS Ruger Vaqueros, an Uberti 1873 and an original Winchester 1897 pump shotgun made in 1902. The wife shoots a set of Taylors Smokewagon Deluxes, an Uberti 1873 rifle and an 1897 pump shotgun made in 1920. The daughter shoots a set of Ruger New Vaqueros, an Uberti 1873 and a Stoeger Coachgun SxS shotgun picked up from a friend right here on this forum. We also have all the equipment to shoot Wild Bunch (1911's, 40 Cal and larger rifle and 1897 shotguns) but haven't taken the plunge yet. the cowboy guns are all 38's and the shotguns are all 12ga. Makes loading ammo easier. All the guns have been tuned or modded to some degree with lightened springs, action work and trigger jobs. We use one homebrew gun cart and one Rugged Gear cart to get all of our "stuff" around. Costumes have come along in time as we buy a little here and a little there. Really, as long as you wear jeans, boots and a "cowboy style" shirt, no one will give you grief about costuming. You will find it's a big part of the fun though! They say CAS is the only shooting discipline where the men talk about their clothes and the women talk about their guns! You will find some very intricate costuming going on and it's all great fun!

You will notice we all shoot the same make and model of rifle. This is intentional. We started with a single Rossi 92 in 357 and quickly discovered it was not up to the challenge of competition shooting. There are folks that use them, but they require a light touch, and are OAL sensitive when it comes to ammo. So we upgraded to three 1873's and never looked back. Another good choice is the Marlin. they are very popular. Recently, Winchester has started offering the 1873 again and us Cowboys are very excited about that! Even though is a chinese copy (Miroku), it's well made and has been performing very well for many of the top shooters in the sport. Our backup rifle in an Uberti 1866 Yellow Boy in 45 Colt. That is also our Wild Bunch rifle, but it doesn't get much time at the line anymore. Beautiful rifle though!

What finally made us decide to start shooting CAS were the people. They're welcoming, friendly and anxious to get new shooters started.! It's the ONLY discipline we visited where people were falling over themselves to get us to shoot their hardware. We showed up one cold rainy morning and stuck with the same posse (group of shooters) from beginning to end. Once they were done shooting they offered to let us shoot a stage or two and wouldn't take no for an answer. We were hooked. Since there's no money at stake, the atmosphere is very laid back and fun. "No one ever wins a Cadillac in Cowboy Action" as they say. People come and shoot because they love the game and the folks. Lots of those people can be found at http://www.sassnet.com/forums feel free to register on the Wire (the SASS forum) and say howdy. you'll get lots of good pointers.

The Oklahoma Territorial Marshals also put on two very large matches: Land Run and Red Dirt Rampage which is the regional championship. Both of these national events draw between 400 and 500 shooters yearly as well as all manner of vendors selling everything from guns to leather to clothes to food. It's an amazing sight to behold!

ITSASS, in Sand Springs was the very first SASS sanctioned group in Oklahoma. Their range at the Zinc Ranch in Sand Spring is first rate and is run by great folks. They host the State Championships every year called "Ruckus in the Nations". Fantastic shoot, very well put together. Catoosa Red and Wild Bill do a first rate job coordinating the shooters and it's always fun.

brantwalton

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Aviator41. I shoot CAS briefly while stationed in Missouri at Whiteman AFB but being a little ol SSgt at the time i needed money and sold my equipment. I had two Vaqueros, marlin all in 45LC and sxs. It was great fun and now my father in law and brother in law are going to start shooting it here in Oklahoma so I must get involved. I am hoping to find someone looking for a AR so maybe i can do some trading to get some of the equipment. I appreciate the info and would love to come to the Sand Springs shoot. Do they have monthly shoots?

Latest posts

Top Bottom