Savage 10 FCP HS Precision

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocksteady

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No pics but great story. I am a noob to guns period. Haven't touched them since High School. I got a Glock 22 to CC, don't like being limited with ammo so I work around the gun. Found myself shooting at sillouhettes at 75-100 yards. Realized I was obviously bored with it so I thought I would join the lovely hobby of long range shooting.

After researching for several months, I bought the Savage 10 FCP HS Precision as a starter .308. Add 500 rounds, a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 SFP, and a crappy job; we were good to go. Anymore and I would have been divorced, broke, and eating my dogs food.

I have been fighting this "accurate" setup for two months out at Red Castle Gun Club. Trigger control, straight behind rifle, control recoil, drive through shot, load the bipod, on and on and on. It has to be me. They all say Savage is great. They all say Vortex will get er done. Good God I hate this. Two months of hell. I'm thinking the scope is defective.

At the range with my buddy today, and I reach up to see if the barrel has cooled. Looked like it wiggled. Told my buddy to look. Put my thumb where the safety is and lightly pushed down. Barrel literally moved a full 1/4 inch up. Let off, 1/4 quarter inch down. Up, down, up, down! Do you have any idea how much driving through the shot it takes to hit a bullseye this way?

Apparently there are two little screws. One on each side of the mag well. Kinda important little screws. They hold the metal to the pedal. Had an Allen wrench and tightened them.

This rifle shoots like a dream. Zeroed at 200 and maintained it for the first time in two months. Moved to 300, dialed the dope, off on windage. Oklahoma, who'd a thunk. Corrected, bullseye next shot. Moved to 635, got on steel after doping Okie windage. 1/2 MOA 4 shots in a row.

I know, no pics, BS. I'm too old to care what others think. But I'm telling you. I don't consider myself a natural at this. Probably lots of hard work on fundamentals due to a bouncing barrel. Can't believe it left the factory this way and I am checking to make sure I don't have a couple of screws loose every 10 rounds for now. At my age, it's common to have a couple of screws get loose. We call them senior moments.

My point. It is nice to know my $3000 investment was not an epic fail. The Savage does what they say. It is extremely accurate out of the box and the .308 is a pleasure to shoot. The scope is flawless and matched my ballistic calculator perfect for doping. The next money pit will be reloading but I gotta be honest, the 175gr SMKs are not doing too shabby at all....especially compared to the last 2 months. I think I have found a new passion. Easier on my body than golf, but you commit to losing a box of Pro V1s every week! :-( Those loose screws cost me $500 and a jug of Rolaids!

Latest posts

Top Bottom