Savage 10FP or Remington SPS Tactical

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Which one and why? .308 cal.

Want it to shoot until I can buy a Surgeon in 338LM then maybe upgrade it slowly to be a top shelf 308 to have.

What about a 12FVSS in .308 too?

No matter what if will probably be cut to 18-20" at the time of threading.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know what I'm going to say... SAVAGE!!

No, in all seriousness, if it was up to me, I would do it based on my situation. If I had the budget to immediately get the Remington, have the action blueprinted, re-barreled and put it in some new furniture, I would. However, if I was looking for a rifle to buy, throw a scope on and immediately go shooting, I'd go with the savage. You could have work done to it later, also.

That would really be my biggest determining factor for me, honestly, other than the fact that most of the cheaper Remington actions feel sloppy to me.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
For me it's the lock nut on the barrel. Just can,t bring myself to embrace that idea! The big time tactical guys tell me the "Accu-Trigger is the first thing to fail at those tactical schools, just can stand up to the volume of ammo they fire.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're gonna re-barrel it (or plan on upgrading anything at all), get a Remington - if you plan on re-barreling it soon, don't get anything fancy at all. I got an SPS Varmint and am regretting it as most of the original parts have been blueprinted, taken off, or redone by Steve.

I ruled out going the way of Savage because I intended to upgrade everything and I was shocked by some of the prices for upgrades to the Savage from the same manufacturers who sold Remington versions of the same thing for much less.

Latest posts

Top Bottom