Savage 10FP or Remington SPS Tactical

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since you said "top shelf" I'd say Remington...but only because of the availability of aftermarket stuff.

If you only planned to spend say, $1,000-$1,500, my answer would be Savage.

They are quite the shooters. Plus you can have a switch-barrel platform since you can swap barrels yourself. I originally planned on building a .300 mag outta the top one, but money kind of got in the way. If I ever shoot out the barrel of the tan 10FP, I'll switch the calibers and try something new. :)

Money gets in the way with custom builds when you're a full time college student who works part time. :nono2:

ai14.photobucket.com_albums_a320_mmchambers06_110la.jpg

ai14.photobucket.com_albums_a320_mmchambers06_10fp2.jpg

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And like EZ said, if you're rebarreling it immediately, just buy the $400 SPS and forget about the SPS Tactical or Varmint.

ETA...oops, looks like I missed a post. Disregard...

sharkbait

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just really want to shoot it stock until I get my Surgeon. Then I'll go the way of upgrades. That's the only reason I want the SPS Varmint or Tactical.

This is what my Savage 10FCP did straight out of the box with 168gr Win Silvertips at 100 yards.[Broken External Image][/

If you are ever in the Tulsa area pm me and I'll be happy to let you take it for a test drive.

eta: check out my pics and review on page 2 of the photo album.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both are good but I favor Remingtons. My PSS shoots under .5 MOA with handloads. If you want to build it up later on I think Remingtons are a better platform.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a Savage guy but IF you are going the Surgeon route, I'd say get the Remington. You can start upgrading the Remington into a Surgeon. They sell recievers now that allow you to use your barrel and trigger assembly and then upgrade those out at a later date. So in a sense, you can build up your own Surgeon.

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i had a rem SPS 30-06 26 inch barrel,the hinged floorplate was a POS.coluldnt believe REM would put that on a rifle with there name on it.the SPS models are the lowest priced entry level guns REM sells.if your considering a REM SPS tacicle.i woudl examine it very throghly.

Leadlobber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have both a Rem.SPS .223 skinny barrel and a Savage 10 LE .223 {Choate stock}The Rem was bought first after I changed the stock and trigger it will now shoot 40 & 50 gr bullets well is is a 1 in 12 twist.

With no mods the Savage shot 50 - 68 gr bullets great, 1 in 9 twist . I did change the trigger, after 2 years of hard use .I may get a Bell & Carlson stock.The ugly barrel nut makes for easy barrel changes.

Savage has a new Accu-stock .My Savage isn't pretty, but they do shoot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom