Saw the biggest whitetail buck I have ever seen in my life

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goosedestroyer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, let me tell the story. I just returned home last night from both duck and bow hunting for two full days. I was off from work on Veteran's Day; I work for the federal government. So it was kinda last of minutes to make my decision where to go duck or deer bow hunting and was unsure where to go. I decided to go duck hunting on Friday morning until 10am at a public that I haven't been to and did alright. Managed with 4 ducks, should have gotten my limit easily but I just sucks at duck calling and shooting with a shotgun. Lol. After the duck hunting, I have my bow with me and wasn't sure where to go bow hunting at for evening hunt. So I looked at the new Okla. WMA Atlas trying to find a public that I have never been to before and would like to check some public out. I picked the one (won't tell the name of the public) it was a long drive. I made there by around 2:30pm and there was nobody there so I wasn't aware of where to hunt at so I hiked for probably at least a mile to two mile and found bunch rubs on big tree and ton of fresh scrapes with fresh track of deer. I knew that is a good spot so I put a tree seat. About at 4pm, I started to rattling for about 30 seconds and I saw two white ears and think I can see the rack @ 200 yards away, I stopped the rattle and look through my binocular to see what it is. Once I saw it, I was like OH S*** that buck is the biggest I've ever seen. I can count the point easily. He had 6 pt on left side and 5 pt on right side, probably over 20" to 22" inch spread, and the antler so THICK and should be weight over 200 LBS. I watched the big 11pt for about 20 minutes and still at 200 yards away. He was rubbing a big tree and scrape. So I try to rattle again, he was pretty much interesting and act like he's really aggressive. He came straight to me at 70 yards away but in wrong path because the wind was blowing toward him and he smelt me already then turn back and ran away. I was pretty much stoked and little sad just wish that he was more closer for me to make a clear shot. About 30 minutes later a nice tall rack buck came in front of me and I missed him at 35 yards; I shot over his back. I thought he was about between 40 to 45 yards away so I use #2 pin but found out that he was only 35 yard away.

Next the day, Saturday, morning I had a decent 7 pt buck at 50 yards. Wasn't sure if I want to shoot it or wait for a nice and bigger one since it was still really early morning. So I passed him then at about 9am there was a big 10 pt about 60 yards away in front of me. He was doing scrape for a while and then something scared him and he ran away. Five minute later, I saw the Game Warden truck drove by that maybe why it scared the 10 pt. I stayed in that spot ALL DAY and brought peanut butter jelly sandwiches with me at about 11am there was a doe walking by me while I was eating my lunch. I was expecting a buck chasing her. Nope. At by 4pm I saw a nice buck ran about 100 yard away from me so I tried to rattling him in and he kept running away. It seems funny that something scared him. At 4:09pm, I saw a guy in blue jean carrying a ground blind and no bow. He was walking about 200 yards away from me. by 5:15pm I saw another nice buck stood behind me about 90 yards and he was staring at different direction so I looked other side and there was that guy in blue jean and was talking on the two-way radio and walking about 300 yards away. So I tried to grunt call and hopefully for him to come straight to me but he turn back and ran away. By that time that guy walk about 50 yards from me at 5:30pm. I decided to pack and go home that kinda make me pissed off that guy was doing scout at the peak time of deer activity. I was walking to the parking, he stood there and waiting for his buddy, I guess. He was trying to talk to me but I was in a bad mood and headache so I ignored him. I just wish that he was doing his scout in the middle of day not in the evening and nearby me.

I am looking forward to go back there again in a few weeks. There are definitely nice bucks with some monster ones out there! It won't be easy to kill with a bow but it is worth to go there cause I got to see 7 nice bucks included the biggest one I've ever seen. Sorry won't tell the name of the public where I went. I was suprised with less hunters and no pressures so I better keep it secret. Hopefully I will kill a very nice buck on my next trip to there.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
quit holdin out brah! no really, thats one fine day on public land. good luck on future ventures there. pics will be a must!

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like a pretty good hunt. I think I can narrow it down to about 3 wma's but don't plan to go any farther than that. I know what its like to hunt public and try to keep things on the down-low when you find a hot spot. Hopefully you can get back out before rifle season kicks off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom