School me on binoculars

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got Nikon Monarch 8x42 and like them a lot.
I settled on them a few years ago because a reviewer at Opticsplanet said he has access to any binos he wants to use, but when he's going into the field for a day he frequently grabs a pair of these.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Several years ago I bought the Nikon Monarch 8x42's. They were the best in my price range at the time and love them. But my dad has a pair of Zeiss and they are better than mine - but for MY purposes the Nikon's work just fine

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I’m probably the cheapest guy here, lol. I bought the cabelas brand 12x50 binoculars. They were super cheap, I think 2-300? I don’t really remember. They’ve been pretty decent honestly, my only complaint is that the distance between the eyepieces is a little on the small side. I do have a big head and nose though.

I felt like shopping for binoculars inside a store doesn’t do the optics justice. None of the binoculars I looked at seemed to be particularly impressive looking at the sign in the boating department from the optics counter. But once I got them out in the field glassing for critters, they did a lot better on all fronts.

I like having a little bit more magnification for my binoculars than what I’m hunting with if I have an optic on my rifle, hence the 12x. Most of my hunting rifles have 9x or less magnification. Why cheap? Because like @steelfingers said, I knew that I would likely beat them up. I did buy an FHF bino harness, it’s super nice and prob my new favorite piece of hunting gear. Protects the binos well and it’s convenient enough that I actually take my binoculars out all the time now. I dislike the setup for the holster mounting though.

if you wanted to bump up that budget just a smidge, I suggest getting these Kowa’s.
https://sportingoptics.kowa-usa.com...-high-lander-32x82mm-fluorite-binoculars.html
For a harness I bought this. It’s awesome while hunting. There’s a spot to carry a few extra rounds of ammunition. I carry extra ammo and a Kershaw razor blade knife in case I have to field dress.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1017382458?pid=466904

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bought a new pair of Nikon Monarch 8x42 way back when first came out from a Camera store in New York for 219 bucks. Best buy ive made in a long time. I will say from experience get a waterproof with decent quality lens and make sure you really need 10x42 or bigger. Eye fatigue is a thing and you will thank me later.

VarmintHunter59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vortex are excellent scopes and binoculars and seem to have taken over the market. They cost a lot more than the old quality Redfields and Leupolds but.. I have 3 pair of Steiners I snagged off of ebay including the military binoculars. I also have a pair of German Karl Jenga binoculars before they went sky high too. I'm good on binoculars but there are some very good high end binoculars out there.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom