scope eye

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even worse/ dumber/ meaner/ funny (To NCO's anyway) than scope eye-

We used to get an annual tasking to support training ROTC Advanced Camp cadets, just prior to their commissioning. A couple buddies and I were covering M1911 pistol familiarization, and we were surprised that more than a few Cadets had never touched a handgun, let alone cranky old range whore 1911s. One candidate was having trouble getting rounds on paper at 7 yd, so my buddies, being 2 of the finest NCO's the 82nd had to offer, suggested (jokingly) that the Cadet hold the pistol up close to her face to get a better sight picture.

Cut forward to her next turn up at bat, buddies had long since laughed it off, assuming she understood it was a joke- She HAD completed the morning's weapon orientation and safety class....

I was napping in the shade on a pallet of ammo and got called to the firing line for an injury. Seems that a Cadet had a big cut and bruise on her cheek and eye socket. Ended up going to surgery the next day to reassemble her orbital rim and get a cosmetic closure. Bruised her globe as well.

We all got an ass chewing, even the rest of us just for being there, but our 1SG realized that it was a joke and she was dumb enough to swallow it..

It is things like this that are in the design to thin the herd......

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got it when I was 14. I was 35 feet up in a tree. This was back before safety harnesses. It was a very cold day and I had a heavy hunting jacket on. A doe came across a field from left to right. I couldnt turn so I had to use an extreme angle to shoot. I didnt get the gun into my shoulder and fired. I was dazed for a second and not sure what happened. I knew I missed the doe. Ten minutes later my dad comes over. He climbs up and gets my gun from me. I had blood running down my face. When I got down I told him and my uncle what happened. They checked me out and after we all figured I was ok....it was a good laugh. Looking back I was very lucky. I still have the scar and I was at it again the next day.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a friend sit down on my uber-heavy Remington 700 build on a bipod in .308 with a suppressor on it after I had just shot it.

I mount the rifle and lay down my weight behind it and I guess it looked like it had no recoil at all and he gets on the rifle like he doesn't want to mount the cheek wield and scoots forward to the scope. Just about the time I was going to say "uhhh - you don't want to"... he pulled the trigger and bang - it barely nicked his eye.

Thought he knew it still had a touch of recoil even with the extra weight and the can - I felt really bad.

BTW, I don't use safety glasses when shooting scoped bolt-guns. Gas-guns are a different story, but not on Bolt-guns.

Wear the glasses. If a primer ruptures you will get a face full of crap. I saw it happen to a guy 25 years ago and to this day the scars make him look like he has a face full on blackheads.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...suggested (jokingly) that the Cadet hold the pistol up close to her face to get a better sight picture.

My 9 year old son did that a few years ago with my Ruger Mark II; we were shooting my .22s in my parent's back yard, and he wanted to try the pistol. Before I realized what he was doing and could stop him, he had pulled the gun up close to get a better sight alignment and squeezed the trigger. Got a cut on his cheekbone, but after a few tears and my explanation and various reasons why you hold the pistol out from your face he was back at it. My fault for not realizing that he wasn't just "looking down the sights", so I watch everything they do now. Good lesson for both of us.

Shifty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even worse/ dumber/ meaner/ funny (To NCO's anyway) than scope eye-

We used to get an annual tasking to support training ROTC Advanced Camp cadets, just prior to their commissioning. A couple buddies and I were covering M1911 pistol familiarization, and we were surprised that more than a few Cadets had never touched a handgun, let alone cranky old range whore 1911s. One candidate was having trouble getting rounds on paper at 7 yd, so my buddies, being 2 of the finest NCO's the 82nd had to offer, suggested (jokingly) that the Cadet hold the pistol up close to her face to get a better sight picture.

Cut forward to her next turn up at bat, buddies had long since laughed it off, assuming she understood it was a joke- She HAD completed the morning's weapon orientation and safety class....

I was napping in the shade on a pallet of ammo and got called to the firing line for an injury. Seems that a Cadet had a big cut and bruise on her cheek and eye socket. Ended up going to surgery the next day to reassemble her orbital rim and get a cosmetic closure. Bruised her globe as well.

We all got an ass chewing, even the rest of us just for being there, but our 1SG realized that it was a joke and she was dumb enough to swallow it..

I dont know how long ago this was, but being around a group of people in todays Army that have never held a pistol is no surprise at all.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before you hand your high-powered rifle to somebody who doesn't know what they're doing, please teach them these 3 things:

Shoulder Pocket
Turkey Neck
Cheek Weld

If you don't know what these things are, come to an Appleseed and we will be glad to show you! ;)

Scope eye is not something that just happens... it happens because you didn't follow proper technique. It happens when the rifle recoils rearward, and for whatever reason, your head does not. This can happen 1) if you don't have the stock properly pocketed or 2) if there is "slack" in your neck.

Most everybody knows about properly pocketing a rifle, and most know about cheek weld, but not everybody knows about turkey necking.

If you have a proper shoulder pocket, your shoulder is pushed back when the rifle fires. If there is slack in your neck, your head will stay still while your shoulder and the rifle travel rearward, and WHAM. Scope eye. You avoid this by "turkey necking:" craning your neck out and getting your head as far forward as you can before getting your cheek weld. This means that when the rifle pushes your shoulder back, your head will travel with it as one unit. It makes it much more comfortable to shoot powerful rifles, and actually makes it a little easier on your shoulder, too. The more mass absorbing the force the better. It also helps with consistency... it uses a natural mechanical limit to make you put your head in the same place on the stock every time, and keeps it there. If you're not turkey necking, you might not be getting whacked in the eye, but your head may still be creeping forward slightly with every shot, which will change your point of impact. You need to set the eye relief on your scope while turkey necked out.

If people were taught this little thing when they learn to shoot it would save a lot of pain!

As for that Army story... man, that's why I never joke around new shooters! If they are deficient in the common sense department they may just take something you say literally!

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So i went to banner rd yesturday with some friends who dont shoot a lot of guns and the funniest thing happened when one of my friends got up to shoot my rifle he shot it after one shot he said im done and tunrned around with blood all over his eye it was the greatest thing i have ever seen in my life

MAN!

If you think getting bashed in the eye with a scope and drawing blood is funny I'd hate to think about what you consider terrible.

With guys that don't shoot a lot, huh?

Where were you? Why weren't you watching what was going on and instructing the guy that he was holding the rifle wrong?

What about safety glasses?

He wasnt wearing any

Geeeeez!

The next time you want to take a bunch of newbs shooting you may want to consider taking along someone that actually knows what they're doing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom