Scope for AR15

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peace_Maker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i would do it but i have moved up to XII & XIII which are superior IMO . but my scopes are mid level in the world of scopes.

Good choice, I don't really care for my VX-1 because of the friction adjustment, seems like something you would find on a $20 scope. I cant complain about the glass though.

fishn&huntn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Good choice, I don't really care for my VX-1 because of the friction adjustment, seems like something you would find on a $20 scope. I cant complain about the glass though.

I only adjusted mine once. to sight it in 4 years ago. i dont care for the friction adjustment either but it has stayed dead on for years as with my other leupys. i have never seen optics hold their zero so well .until they let me down i will be a salesman for them.They should send me a check

CWLFTMFW

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reaction score
Harry Bear, we spoke about this on the phone, but just to re-iterate, it depends entirely upon the use of the rifle (most importantly the distances you'll be shooting at), and the budget, as to which optic type is best.

1. If it's a lightweight CQB / fighting rifle, where the vast majority (if not all) of your shots are gonna be within 50 to 75 yards, with the occasional longer range shot, then you're going to want something like these:

-Fixed 1x optic: Iron sights, ESD (aimpoint, eotech, leupold prismatic, trijicon reflex, etc.), either with or without a flip-out magnifier, or 1x scope.
-Lightweight 1-ish to 4-ish optic, usually with a 20, 24, or 28mm objective lens. There are a million of these sights out there, from the less expensive Millett DMS-1 to up as high as you want to go, to something like the Spectre DR. Or even something like a Bushnell Banner 1-4x32mm for a real budget choice. :) The Elite 4200 linked to above is an excellent choice for high quality on a budget, in this category.

2. If it's an "All-purpose" rifle, where you want it to be a jack of all trades, and do everything fairly well (some CQB, some hunting, some target shooting), but nothing really great, then you'll something like this:
--1.5-6x40mm (Pentax, Swarovski, Burris, Zeiss, maybe others)
--1.75-5x36mm (Leupold VX-3)
--2-7x32mm (many of these)
--1.65-5x36mm (Nikon Omega or Slugmaster - this would be my choice for this type of rifle if buying a new scope)
--ACOG (fixed 3, 3.5, 4, etc.)
--2.5-10x40mm
--even a 3-9x40mm, which are cheap and ubiquitous
(These last 3 not being quite as good of a choice for this type rifle, as their low end is not low enough to engage multiple targets with both eyes open, as quickly as a 1.5x-2x or less)

3. If it's more of a target/precision/long-range rifle, then you'll want one of these:
--2.5-10x40 or 50mm
--3-9x40 or 50mm
--3.5-10x40 or 50mm
--4.5-14x40 or 50mm
--4-16x
--5-15x
--6-18x
--6-20x
--6-24x
--fixed 10x
--fixed 16x or 20x (super sniper)
etc.

Obviously, there's some overlap. FWIW, this is what I have presently on 3 "EBRs":
-Nikon Omega 3-9x40mm (20" HB, hunter, short-range target shooter)
-Sightron S2, 1.5-6x42mm (16", all-purpose rifle, backup SHTF/fighting rifle )
-Iron sights (16", lightweight SHTF / fighting rifle, but also with a Weaver Classic Extreme 2.5-10x56mm, 30mm tube & side focus, in high-quality QD "hold-zero" rings, for use as fun target rifle & potential low-light hunter).

The key, as always, is budget. The higher magnif stuff is more difficult to get quality with the same budget. But I think first you need to decide which of the three categories of USE that this particular AR15 is going to be in!

As for rings, you have to get rings labeled as "extra-high" or "ultra-high", or be designated as an AR15 mount/rings, in order for them to work on a flattop (or get low/medium rings and a riser rail set).

Latest posts

Top Bottom