scoped revolvers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ruger super Redhawk, .44mag. From a rest, its a tack driver out to 50 yds. Thats as far as I practice. My hunting area is heavily wooded, so most shots are 20-30 yds max.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P8200003.jpg

Reaction score
I believe what you meant to say was shooting a revolver WITHOUT HEARING PROTECTION is a bad idea

Yeah, that's what I meant; thank you. :)

I hunt with pistols more-so than with rifles. I keep ear plugs on a lanyard around my neck, it takes a second to put them in and I have never missed an animal because of it.

Scoped revolvers are heavy, hard to carry, and a pain in the ass to shoot off hand. I am plenty capable at 100-125 yards to harvest deer and coyotes with iron sights, if I need to shoot further then I will grab a rifle.

Interesting, yes, and I believe that.... BUT, I submit that with a smallish / lightish scope, and the right holster for it (a chest holster specifically designed for a scoped revolver), they are really not that much harder to carry. (but a pain to shoot offhand, yes, that's true). And they are much easier to carry than a scoped rifle. And they will increase your practical range a bit over iron sights - at least they do for me, with not-so-great eyesight. I wouldn't shoot past about 40 yards with a 4" revolver, past 50 or 60 with a 6" revolver, or past about 75 yards with an 8". But I'd feel comfortable letting loose at 150+ with a scoped revolver that I know is accurate, assuming I have practiced my holdovers.

In any event, if handgun hunting mood struck me, I'd still MUCH rather hunt with a scoped Contender, Thor, or similar, than a revolver - what if an opportunity arises while you are not expecting it and you don't have your plugs in? You're ready for anything with a handgun with no cylinder gap blast.

hard_r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
what if an opportunity arises while you are not expecting it and you don't have your plugs in? You're ready for anything with a handgun with no cylinder gap blast.

This would not be the first time I had shot a .44 with no hearing protection. Not saying it's fun, but if it got me a good buck, I think it'd be worth the ringing for a day or two. They do have a pill for ears ringing now.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This would not be the first time I had shot a .44 with no hearing protection. Not saying it's fun, but if it got me a good buck, I think it'd be worth the ringing for a day or two. They do have a pill for ears ringing now.

I used to think the same thing when I was in my 20's, now 23 years later, I get sick of not being able to hear my kids, or I respond to something that is no where near what was asked. You cannot replace your hearing.

Reaction score
This would not be the first time I had shot a .44 with no hearing protection. Not saying it's fun, but if it got me a good buck, I think it'd be worth the ringing for a day or two.

Ahhh, but you see hard r, that's precisely where you went horribly horribly wrong. It's not a day or two - that day or two you hear is indicative of permanent damage that will rear its ugly head much later in life. It only takes ONE shot to permanently damage yourself, and you've *already* done that, and plan on possibly doing it again. For a deer, you're gonna not be able to enjoy your grandkids' recitals, and drive your wife absolutely nuts saying "what" 40 times a day? I submit that that is the worst tradeoff deal in the history of the universe, for you and your loved ones in the future.

That's what I'm tellin ya man - you cannot shoot a magnum revolver like that even ONCE without ears, and every time you do, you further permanently damage yourself. Glad we smoked out your true feelings so you could hear me rant** - take some wisdom, man.

**because the first thing you said above was: "Ya, Earplugs will be a must. I never said I wouldn't use them. I thought it was a given that one WOULD use ear pro." - then changed your tune. Stick with that first thing you said!! :D

hard_r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I said, I would always have my ear pro. What I was meaning above is that sometimes accidents happen. That's how the first time happened. Muffs up on my head to hear what a buddy was asking, then oops! Forgot. I know it's not good to do and wouldn't go out with the intention of shooting without ear pro. In fact, I've been doing some research on tinitis and then strait on to researching walkers game ears. I think that would be a good investment so I don't have a mistake in the field.

Sturgell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I am the same age as you and I have hearing damage (tinnitus) from shooting shotguns and rimfire rifles when I was a kid, if you want to depend on a pill when you can't go to sleep at night without background noise I can not stop you.

I am telling you that the constant ringing of my ears is a pain in the ass. I am also telling you that I hunt with a pistol far more than I do with a rifle for everything from squirrels to deer, I always use hearing protection. I am not happy that I have to live with this ringing FOREVER...not today and tomorrow FOREVER all because I was too stubborn to put in earplugs when hunting and shooting. No animal gracing this planet is worth the loss of my hearing...I just wish I had known that earlier in life. This is coming from a 23 year old kid.

Latest posts

Top Bottom