Rare Python .256 Magnum

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A similar round was chambered by S&W in 1961, in the Model 53. The 53 was a Combat Magnum chambered in a round called 22 Jet. Thiss was a 357 round necked down to 22 caliber.

The primary problem associated with the Jet (and the 256 Winchester, for that matter), was that due to the taper in the cartridge, they would back out and tie up the gun. Another problem was that the claimed muzzle velocities were wildly exaggerated and both of these hindered the commercial success of the round. The Jet lingered on for a few years until S&W finally dropped in the late 60's or the early 70's.

Colt looked into doing essentially the same with their Python a bit later, with same problem of backing out, but I understood that they did not release it commercially, and the only revolvers made were prototypes.

These days, the only guns chambered in 22 Jet and 256 Winchester are single shots such as the Thompson/Center Contender and similar.

They are both interesting rounds.

BTW

Here is a somewhat related thread.

https://www.okshooters.com/threads/hawaii-five-0.289058/

Tailgate

Marksman
Reaction score
I have never ever heard of that caliber round. Crazy. And the price of that Python!!! WOW. When you see someone post something for sale and they say "Very rare"...it usually is not "that" rare. In this case, probably the same factory gunsmith made EVERY ONE of that particular gun. Amazing.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I have never ever heard of that caliber round. Crazy. And the price of that Python!!! WOW. When you see someone post something for sale and they say "Very rare"...it usually is not "that" rare. In this case, probably the same factory gunsmith made EVERY ONE of that particular gun. Amazing.

You could buy 12 Ruger Hawkeyes in .256 for that lol 😆

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A similar round was chambered by S&W in 1961, in the Model 53. The 53 was a Combat Magnum chambered in a round called 22 Jet. Thiss was a 357 round necked down to 22 caliber.

The primary problem associated with the Jet (and the 256 Winchester, for that matter), was that due to the taper in the cartridge, they would back out and tie up the gun. Another problem was that the claimed muzzle velocities were wildly exaggerated and both of these hindered the commercial successfor a few years until S&W finally dropped in the late 60's or the early 70's.

I remember hearing a tale of one of Elvis’s revolvers selling at auction for a high price and it was a model 53

I have never heard of it so I had to look it up

Latest posts

Top Bottom