scoped revolvers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've shot a variety of scoped handguns including revolvers. If I were you, I would see how well it shoots with open sights first...

Plus 1 on that...

My Raging Bull in 44Mag is a tack driver with irons - at least for my eldest daughter anyway. I scoped it. Big mistake. It killed two optics - a chinese el cheapo red dot and an eotech 512...

I can see the chinese red dot going teats up but not the eotech.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a Smith 586 6" with a 2x scope on it. Don't remember the brand. Tack driver. Not sure why I traded it off now.

Buddy has a Super Redhawk .44 mag with a 4x. Burris I think....don't recall exactly. Works well.

Only other hand guns I have with scopes now are Contender barrels.

Reaction score
Has anyone ever hunted with/shot a revolver with a scope? I will soon be the owner of a taurus raging bull and am thinking about scoping it.

Hunting with a revolver is a bad idea. Hunting with a PORTED revolver is a really bad idea. Hunting with a ported revolver in a magnum cartridge is a really really bad idea.

ONE shot can give you this - Read up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus

Just my opinion.

Of course, scoping it for range shooting ain't a bad idea, and people do it all the time. There are many scopes that can stand up to it. Get a Leupold for this purpose, since they have the best warranty in the business. IMO.

Sturgell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hunting with a revolver is a bad idea. Hunting with a PORTED revolver is a really bad idea. Hunting with a ported revolver in a magnum cartridge is a really really bad idea.

Just my opinion.

Of course, scoping it for range shooting ain't a bad idea, and people do it all the time. There are many scopes that can stand up to it. Get a Leupold for this purpose, since they have the best warranty in the business. IMO.

I hunt with pistols more-so than with rifles. I keep ear plugs on a lanyard around my neck, it takes a second to put them in and I have never missed an animal because of it.

Scoped revolvers are heavy, hard to carry, and a pain in the ass to shoot off hand. I am plenty capable at 100-125 yards to harvest deer and coyotes with iron sights, if I need to shoot further then I will grab a rifle.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hunt with pistols more-so than with rifles. I keep ear plugs on a lanyard around my neck, it takes a second to put them in and I have never missed an animal because of it.

Scoped revolvers are heavy, hard to carry, and a pain in the ass to shoot off hand. I am plenty capable at 100-125 yards to harvest deer and coyotes with iron sights, if I need to shoot further then I will grab a rifle.

Buy yourself a set of electronic ears. Kills the sound of the gun blast but amplifies the ambient. You'll be surprised what you'll hear and how it will aid you in your hunt.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a scoped Ruger Super Redhawk. It's dead accurate, and real heavy. I usually need to rest it on something to get the accuracy it's capable of, but at 60 yards I can hit a tennis ball pretty consistently.

It is great on hogs. Haven't killed anything else with it except armadillos. 300 grain flat nosed lead really does a job on those. CB

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Just my opinion.

Myself and just about everyone on the handgun hunting forum will disagree that hunting with a revolver is a bad idea. I believe what you meant to say was shooting a revolver WITHOUT HEARING PROTECTION is a bad idea. It's easy to slip on some ear plugs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom