Scorpion sting leads to a hefty bill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A person can have a private ins policy through self or employer and still have medicare or medicaid and pretty sure you can have all three together.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whoops, I totally misread that in the question - my mistake.

Here is my naive question - if she had private insurance, she would not have qualified for medicaid, regardless of income. Is that accurate?

That's what I would have thought. States have some leeway in how they run medicaid and apparently in some states you can have both.

http://www.dshs.wa.gov/pdf/ms/forms/14_194.pdf

gl55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like the main problem was she went to a health care facility that was out-of-network. Why she chose to do that only she knows. Maybe it was because of the urgency and location thinking time was of the essence or not knowing the differences in charges you are responsible for when you go out-of-network. I wonder what her out of pocket would have been if she had gone to an in-network facility.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A person can have a private ins policy through self or employer and still have medicare or medicaid and pretty sure you can have all three together.

So you can have money, spend enough of it for insurance premiums etc. and make yourself poor enough to get medicaid? Confusing.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like the main problem was she went to a health care facility that was out-of-network. Why she chose to do that only she knows. Maybe it was because of the urgency and location thinking time was of the essence or not knowing the differences in charges you are responsible for when you go out-of-network. I wonder what her out of pocket would have been if she had gone to an in-network facility.

So the guy in the second article was lucky enough to walk across the street to the right hospital for his insurance?

[Trydal walked across the street to Scripps Hospital and received four doses of antivenin over the course of 24 hours. He said he was later shocked to receive his medical bill for the treatment.

"I thought maybe $10,000," Trydal said. "This is way too much, at least for a person that doesn't have good insurance."

The hospital is currently negotiating payment with the insurance company and assured the student would not be billed]

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2012...atment/UPI-50781338421524/?rel=64681346873024

gl55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When an insurance co contracts with a facility to be in-network they negotiate fee schedules for every service they would ever provide. What the facility will charge and what amount they will accept for every service. These fees are not the same for every insurance co but are negotiated for every different insurance co. Every Dr or provider does the same thing. My wife works in the health insurance industry and you would not believe what goes on between facilities, providers and ins cos that a patient is never aware of.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can drive a nice expensive car and have a SNAP Card.

Yet if you're elderly and make more than around $750 a month,(Ok. limit) you can't qualify for medicaid/advantage program to help keep you out of a nursing home which would most likely cost the state much more than contributing to your home care. Can't help but wonder if that has anything to do with who has interest in the nursing homes in OK.

Latest posts

Top Bottom