SDA, adjudicated a delinquent.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was arrested as a 16 year old because I didn't pay a ticket and they said "that long ago?-no problem." If they had only caught me for some of the things I did, I'd still be sitting in solitary at Big Mac. "Show me your friends and I'll show you your future."

2ndZack

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The question was, was it for an offense that would have been a felony had you been an adult? I think the law is pretty clear the way it is written... 10 years from the time you were "sentenced". So if you were 16, then it should be at 26 you would be eligible for a permit.

Of course we all know in practice it doesn't always work that way... but if you're serious about it, write a letter and get an official written response from them on paper. Anything some clerk tells you on the phone is simply their opinion and isn't enforceable and essentially means nothing. Maybe it can be used to guide your choices, but when you're getting differing opinions, it's less than useless.

The law says there are consequences to your acts as a teenager... unfortunately, you will have to live with those consequences and wait the timeframe allocated by law.
100%, correct, I did the crime, and must pay up. I'm not trying to change just the law or even complain about it, just trying to find out what the time frame is.
Just be glad it wasn't a plea-bargain including some kind of violent act, or you could lose all rights to own firearms for life. Or that you would have to register as a sex offender.

I did not think about sending a letter, but wont the same people who answer the emails and phone calls, be the same people who answer the mail?

Last edited:

2ndZack

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Edit----I just got a call back, from OSBI, and the lady was very helpful, she found the answer, and when I brought it up again, said said, it was kinda a "Gray" area and went to ask her boss, and was told she was correct it is 10 years from when the Judge adjudicated someone a delinquent, not 10 years after you are done with court/probation.

If you all read this, the same way she does and her boss, then it looks like I'm good to go.
TITLE 21 § 1283 CONVICTED FELONS AND DELINQUENTS

It shall be unlawful for any person previously adjudicated as a delinquent child or a youthful offender for the
commission of an offense, which would have constituted a felony offense if committed by an adult, to have in
the possession of the person or under the immediate control of the person, or have in any vehicle which he or
she is driving or in which the person is riding as a passenger, or at the residence of the person, any pistol,
imitation or homemade pistol, altered air or toy pistol, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun or rifle, or any other
dangerous or deadly firearm within ten (10) years after such adjudication; provided, that nothing in this
subsection shall be construed to prohibit the placement of the person in a home with a full-time duly appointed
peace officer who is certified by the Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training (CLEET) pursuant to
the provisions of Section 3311 of Title 70 of the Oklahoma Statutes.

Last edited:

2ndZack

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats to HAVE a gun in your posession, applying for the SDA, list on app..

Have you tried to buy a gun through a 4473 form?

Read app. carefully, send money in, Wait!!!..Good Luck

Thats to HAVE a gun in your posession, applying for the SDA, list on app..

Have you tried to buy a gun through a 4473 form?

Read app. carefully, send money in, Wait!!!..Good Luck

I think that is the issue, and why they are calling it a "Gray" area. Their is only two parts in the SDA law book, that talk about it. The person who I talked to on the phone told me that in the SDA book rule 12, part B, 1,2 and 3 all link back to TITLE 21 § 1283 CONVICTED FELONS AND DELINQUENTS, and since it does not specifically say, it is 10 years after completion, the time starts once the judge orders you a delinquent.

I will be getting everything done early next week, and will be sending in everything. Guess we will find out soon.

Thanks for everyone help.

Latest posts

Top Bottom