Seeing any Snipe?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is fun is when another hunter or individual who has never paid attention that there is a Snipe season walks up and asks what I am shooting. Then the look on their face and the comments when I say "hunting Snipe". Then the next look on their face when I hand them one of these. Especially the look of bewilderment when it is a game warden who has never seen a snipe in the hand before.

awww.fototime.com_ED21CBF47D6C40E_standard.jpg

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think my uncle used to call them mud quail. I don't think it had anything to do with taste.

"mud quail". I like that. I'm going to use that next time someone asks.

Hey Bro,
I will be on the first Goose hunt next month at the Washita again. Like my 5th or 6th year in a row now. I know you frequent the lake a lot. If your in the area or on the lake come by the primitive camp in the state park and say hi.

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are they the same thing as woodcock?

No, completely different bird with different seasons and from very different habitats. Woodcock are upland, Snipe are shorebird.

WOODCOCK

Dates & Open Areas

Nov. 1 - Dec. 15, 2010; statewide.

Daily Limit

Three (3) daily, six (6) in possession after first day.

COMMON SNIPE

Dates & Open Areas

Oct. 1, 2010 - Jan. 15, 2011; statewide.

Daily Limit

Eight (8) daily, 16 in possession after the first day.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"mud quail". I like that. I'm going to use that next time someone asks.

Hey Bro,
I will be on the first Goose hunt next month at the Washita again. Like my 5th or 6th year in a row now. I know you frequent the lake a lot. If your in the area or on the lake come by the primitive camp in the state park and say hi.

Yes give a reminder the week before. Primitive camping area....do you camp in the Chinaberry area just past the floating boat storage/marina? Maybe if the timing is right, I can get you on a private land hunt too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom