Sell $$ bs trade dollars

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's really not that difficult of a concept to understand...

Seller has $1000 MSRP item listed for $500 cash as the item is in pre-owned condition. Buyer has a $500 MSRP item that is also used, but they feel that the items value is $500 as that was the price they originally paid (typical OSA buyer logic). This is why trade value is higher. I'm not trading a $1000 MSRP item for your $500 MSRP item (usually some variety of Glock), just because my cash asking price is $500.

Most sellers, at least the successful ones, will ask less than market value in order to facilitate a quick cash sale. If turning your asset into cash is the objective, why would you be interested in accepting a trade that is valued less than the item that you're attempting to sell?
True. Some guys simply say “if you want to trade it has to be in my favor.” Basically the same thing.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMHO, trade value should be higher because there's more hassle to a trade. Let's say you're offering a widget for sale for $500.

If someone offers you $450 cash, all you have to do is figure out if that's close enough to your price to accept it.

If someone offers you a set of kitchen widgets plus $100 in trade for your widget, you have to figure out if that set of kitchen widgets is worth $400 to you. You have to determine what kind of condition they're in, can you resell them, how much can you get for them, what's the spousal acceptance factor on a set of kitchen widgets, and a whole host of other considerations that don't apply to hard cashy money.

And that doesn't even consider having to deal with the kind of folks who think a rattletrap Lorcin is worth HK money...

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't really given this much thought. However, I think of trade value as more of a mental exercise on my part rather than a stated number to be advertised. Trade difference is really what we are concerned with right? On a trade, I'll value mine somehow, yours somehow and then adjust that difference, if any, with how much I want your item.

Latest posts

Top Bottom