Semi-Auto Battle Rifle... Which one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favorite Fighting Rifle

• Stoner Variants- M4, AR-15, AR-10

Votes: 73 33.0%
  • Kalashnikov Variants-AK47, 74, Valmet, Saiga, VZ58

Votes: 43 19.5%
  • FN FAL

Votes: 30 13.6%
  • M1-A

Votes: 29 13.1%
  • Steyr AUG

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • M1 Garand

Votes: 25 11.3%
  • HK G3

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Mini-14

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • FN SCAR/ Bushmaster ACR

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • Robinson XC R/ SIG 556

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to the Army Times; the EBR features a standard M14 barrel, plus a receiver and trigger assembly that’s fitted with a Sage International adjustable aluminum stock, a Leopold 3.5x10 power scope and Harris bipod legs.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2010/03/army_m14_032210w/

That's a sexy looking M14.

“The fight in Afghanistan is showing us that 7.62mm, in certain aspects, is needed and required.” D'oh!

It's notable that the Army chose a "modernized" M14, which is nothing more than an M14 with its wood stock replaced by a metal one, over some other manufacturer's off-the-shelf 7.62mm weapon. I wonder if the decision was made for economic reasons or handling/accuracy characteristics or something else.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's notable that the Army chose a "modernized" M14, which is nothing more than an M14 with its wood stock replaced by a metal one, over some other manufacturer's off-the-shelf 7.62mm weapon. I wonder if the decision was made for economic reasons or handling/accuracy characteristics or something else.

From my exposure to it and it's users...economic is the answer, but it was supposed to be a short term answer. Tons of them left in the inventory, and a contractor offered a 'upgrade' package with very little input 'from the field'....resulting in 'false economy' as is often the result with a program not driven by the end user.

Not many of the firearms-inclined folks (in other words, folks who know what other options there are/were) that I've talked with in the army actually appreciated the EBR, they merely have to put up with it as a 'gap-filler' until a purpose built rifle can be developed/accepted by Big Green. But Big Green moves slow.....It's been about 6 years now.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
From my exposure to it and it's users...economic is the answer, but it was supposed to be a short term answer. Tons of them left in the inventory, and a contractor offered a 'upgrade' package with very little input 'from the field'....resulting in 'false economy' as is often the result with a program not driven by the end user.

Not many of the firearms-inclined folks (in other words, folks who know what other options there are/were) that I've talked with in the army actually appreciated the EBR, they merely have to put up with it as a 'gap-filler' until a purpose built rifle can be developed/accepted by Big Green. But Big Green moves slow.....It's been about 6 years now.

SMS is correct. Big Green moves at a pace that most modern business's would cause the CEO to get fired. For a modern image, look how long it took them to get to the M9 pistol, and they still had to get another to go along with it the M11/P228. With all the OTS items out there today, you'd think it would be easy for Big Green to move fast to get the troops what they need, but such is not the case as Big Green is still stuck in the 19th century!

Latest posts

Top Bottom