Semi Private range East of Tulsa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hi

Just registered and thought I'd tell about our little gun range. I am the president of a Control Line model airplane club in Tulsa and have 7 1/2 acres just east of Tulsa on 412. When the club lost it's flying site a couple years ago we put our flying circles in my front yard and moved the club house to the new field.

Realizing several of the club members were also gun enthusiasts I built a small firing range out back. Basically a dirt pile with markers at 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards. One of the club members built a shooting bench and we all donated a little money to buy targets etc. The only real requirement is that anyone using the range be a member of the model airplane club. We stole our safety rules from a gun club web site and picked the most knowledgeable member to act as our safety officer.

The range has been in use for almost a year and everyone sure seems to enjoy it. So far mostly 22's and a few larger hand guns. Sure makes it nice to be able to step out back to try out a new trigger or scope. When the guys come out to fly some throw a gun in so if they get tired of one hobby they can zero a scope or just plink.

This has became real popular with the members and we have allot of fun.. Now if we could just get some decent weather..

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, watch out. You'll have a hundred non-model-airplane enthusiasts signing up to be members of the club just to use the range. :)

Ya I should have added the disclaimer. The shooting range is really a secondary benefit for the model club members and we really would not like it to be the primary reason for one joining the club.

Most of our members are what we refer to as retreads, we flew control line models back in the 50's and 60's before Radio Control became the main stream. Some of us compete and travel to contests as far away as Pennsylvania but most just build and fly for fun. Control Line will die with our generation, the kids today would rather sit in front of a computer than carve and glue balsa wood to actually build something that is functional.

buckeye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother had a brief control line model airplane phase in his youth, pretty cool stuff. I still love the smell of the solvents, glues, fuel, etc. Amazing, simple little engines.

Latest posts

Top Bottom