Sewer pipe question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my backyard has always been this sewer pipe with a brass lid on it. The brass lid is screwed into a white PVC adapter on the end of a vertical pipe. I've cut the lawn for 20 years and always ran right over this thing until today when the blade of the mower caught it just right and busted the PVC adapter to bits! The brass top got chucked about 20 yards, but it otherwise not too bad off. What I'm left with now is a vertical pipe - I think maybe it is 3". I went to Lowes and found another adapter that the brass cap would screw into, but the bottom of this adapter is the same size as the pipe so it won't fit over the pipe. The second thing I picked up is this thing called a test cap or something, basically it is red and fits within the 3" pipe, then you screw a metal screw that expands a rubber thing on the inside to lock it into place. Will that be a sufficient replacement? I think the original thing was sealed off well enough with the metal cap and this seems to accomplish the same goal.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
It will work but will be susceptible to Oklahoma weather extremes. Take what you have and pics and measurement s to Locke supply. They should be able to help you find the adapter you need. When measuring the pipe get both inside diameter as well as out side. You will only need one diameter I just cannot remember which.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The piece you bought is made to go inside the bell on the pipe what you need is the one that goes over the pipe. you can either get the correct one or get a collar for that one but it will raise it higher than where it was unless you cut some of the pipe off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom