Share your Open Carry Experiences

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braggs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It's been a few months now since the "Open Carry law" took effect. I've been looking and have yet to find a single person (other than myself) that carries their weapon openly. Sure, I heard about a group of people that went to "Western Sizzlin'" the first day it was allowed, but haven't heard anything else.

I'm curious to know IF anyone has been open carrying, how often, and mostly, a description of your experiences. Did you notice people staring? Any strange questions? Any conflicts/confrontations? Tell us what's been happening!

Thanks!

Braggs

vicious

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been carrying openly every single day since Nov. 1st. It's a G23 in either a fobus or bianchi holster. I've had two experiences since then, both positive. No strange looks, and I've not been asked to leave anywhere.

The first was at Bass Pro early in Nov. There was a gentleman who stopped me to shake my hand as I was walking in. He suggested that it was a great thing for someone to be exercising their rights, and without doing so we stand to lose them.

The second was on Sunday at Chipotle in Norman by Academy and Target. I was in line and there was a gentleman with his children behind me, He, too, complimented me on carrying. He asked me some questions about glocks, and then we got into a conversation about what's going on with gun rights in the US. He seemed relatively new to the idea of carrying, had just bought a pistol and was also interested in the process for getting his license. I ended up suggesting that he check this place out. I hope he does.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's been a few months now since the "Open Carry law" took effect. I've been looking and have yet to find a single person (other than myself) that carries their weapon openly. Sure, I heard about a group of people that went to "Western Sizzlin'" the first day it was allowed, but haven't heard anything else.

I'm curious to know IF anyone has been open carrying, how often, and mostly, a description of your experiences. Did you notice people staring? Any strange questions? Any conflicts/confrontations? Tell us what's been happening!

Thanks!

Braggs

You should hook up with OKOCA. We have get togethers regularly, and sometimes a few people will just meet up spur of the moment. www.facebook.com/opencarryok

Here is a thread on our forum where people have been posting their OC experiences since Nov 1.

Braggs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Here's my experience:

It took me awhile before I was comfortable enough to carry openly. First I had to get used to the weight, find appropriate holsters, etc. Then I started wearing it around my apartment doing mundane chores. It is rather conspicuous and so my kids, family, and girlfriend noticed I was wearing it and asked why. My response was usually "because I can" and "because it's my right" or "to get used to it".

Then I started carrying it concealed in public. Nobody could see it, but I was well aware of it. I did this for about a month before I started carrying openly.

Other people notice it readily and I find they give "ample room" for me in the isles at the stores. One guy saw it and then quickly turned his gaze to the ceiling acting as if he didn't. At the park one day, a gal running on the jogging path nearly tripped over herself and the edge of the path trying to get as far to the other side as possible.

A few people have actually stopped and asked me questions. One guy asked if I had been to the Jan 19th rally at the capitol. Another guy was asking where I took my SDA course as he was having a hard time finding a "timely" opening. The best interaction was with a family and their kids at a Chinese buffet. The oldest boy (approx 7 yo) asked me if I was "security or a police officer". The mother was trying to "shush" him but I was simply polite and friendly to them all. My answer was that, no, I am not... I'm just a good, honest, law-abiding citizen. The parent & grandparents seemed to appreciate that answer as they were smiling and nodding in agreement.

I haven't had any encounters with law enforcement nor confrontations with gun control activists although I look forward to a good experience and outcome from both.

For the record, I carry openly nearly everywhere in OKC and the surrounding area I go (with exception of the illegal places, of course).

Braggs

carlstretch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've only seen one person OC'ing. He had a 3" 1911 in a SOB holster. The only thing that was uncomfortable about it was thinking how painful that would be to carry SOB like that. No thanks.

BTW,. It was at an Ihop and I bet I was the only person who caught it. The public is truly ignorant of their surroundings.

BigD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've open carried quite a bit. I prefer to tuck my shirts in, so conceal carry was always uncomfortable for me. Only had one person say anything to me and it was a lady at sears. She was at the register and thanked me for doing so. She asked a few question about how and where to take the classes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom