Sheridan, Wyoming - House destroyed during standoff with cop killer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, agreed. Ultimately it's paid by taxpayers.

The thread was about homeowners property being damaged by police action, and the INNOCENT homeowners left with the repair bill (with no recourse).

The above video, shows there is at least some viable way to hold the police department responsible for damages. This is a good thing.

I would expect the court 'damages' come from the police budget. If this occurs enough (and police budgets suffer) then I would expect police procedures will change, ...hopefully.

Any police action that results in damage to innocent homeowner property will result in either:
A) The innocent homeowner pays the repair bill.
B) The police department (/ taxpayers) pays the repair bill.

...Again, I'm not disagreeing with you.
But of the 2 options, which is more 'just' ?
Pick your poison.
I wish I could agree with you, that "if it occurs enough" it will change things but we see multi-million dollar payouts for police actions routinely with no discernible change in behaviors. IMHO the only time that payouts are going to cause behavior change is when it comes from police pensions, or if they are personally held accountable for actions without qualified immunity. Until then, they don't seem to care.

Under no circumstance do I believe that option "A" is in any way just or moral so long as the homeowner is innocent. If a perp was in their own house or car or property, I believe it should be non-reimburseable.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you have to distinguish between destroying a home to capture a shoplifter and capturing a murderer who's an active deadly threat to the community. As much as I don't want law enforcement destroying personal property in pursuit of suspects, you have to weigh the cost in lives and injuries. Somewhere in there is a balance to be struck. I know we can't use common sense because it's not really all that common, but blanket policies which push policy to the extremes is definitely not the answer.

I like that the Sheridan, WY community is coming together. I think the local government should do what they can to offset the costs of repair/replacement. They could also hold fundraising drives to support the effort and it would really go a long way if local LEO's came out on their own time and actually worked on the rebuilding project. That kind of PR is priceless and goes a long way towards community cohesiveness.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you have to distinguish between destroying a home to capture a shoplifter and capturing a murderer who's an active deadly threat to the community. As much as I don't want law enforcement destroying personal property in pursuit of suspects, you have to weigh the cost in lives and injuries. Somewhere in there is a balance to be struck. I know we can't use common sense because it's not really all that common, but blanket policies which push policy to the extremes is definitely not the answer.

I like that the Sheridan, WY community is coming together. I think the local government should do what they can to offset the costs of repair/replacement. They could also hold fundraising drives to support the effort and it would really go a long way if local LEO's came out on their own time and actually worked on the rebuilding project. That kind of PR is priceless and goes a long way towards community cohesiveness.

I mean, whether it's a shoplifter or a murderer I don't think the crime should make a difference regarding payment to the homeowner. It could drive policy for department standards about when it's acceptable to destroy someone's personal property, but ultimately if the LEO's determine the need to destroy an innocent person's property, then the innocent should be compensated.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I mean, whether it's a shoplifter or a murderer I don't think the crime should make a difference regarding payment to the homeowner. It could drive policy for department standards about when it's acceptable to destroy someone's personal property, but ultimately if the LEO's determine the need to destroy an innocent person's property, then the innocent should be compensated.
Agreed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom