Shipping and recieving firearms for warranty work?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did a lot of research on this very topic recently. It is illegal for a non-FFL to mail a firearm through the USPS. I sent a pistol back to KelTec through Sooner State Pawn. FFLs CAN mail guns.

It is NOT illegal for a non-FFL to ship guns to a manufacturer or to an FFL through UPS or FedEx. However, those companies have a policy that requires overnight shipping. It would have cost me $50 or $60 to go this route, while having my FFL mail it priority mail only cost me about $15.

About the brown wrapper on the original box... I wouldn't recommend this. Put your original box inside of another box that doesn't identify the contents. Brown wrappers get damaged far too easily. Packages that are marked as firearms are more likely to get stolen or overlabeled in transit. It happens.

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I'll be calling them tomorrow to ask the details. They said they're sending me a return shipping label so that takes care of the shipping. I'll ask them about insurance against it being lost. Honestly I almost wish it would get stolen, this thing has been a pos from day one. So, prob not a good idea to walk into fedex/kinkos with the gun in the box to get wrapped for shipping?

fustigate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
May I suggest a pick up at the carrier's storefront? That way it's not carelessly tossed on the front porch for all to see. How many times have we been home, expecting a package, only to find it on the front porch later with no doorbell?

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let's add some facts to the thread since there is so much wrong info posted.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

As a "non-licensee":

Yes, you CAN ship a firearm to a manufacturer and they CAN ship it directly back to you.

Yes, you CAN mail (USPS)a long gun to a non-licensed resident of your state or to a FFL holder and the CAN ship it directly back to you.

Yes, you CAN ship (common carrier)a handgun to a non-licensed resident of your state or to a FFL holder and the CAN ship it directly back to you.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did a lot of research on this very topic recently. It is illegal for a non-FFL to mail a firearm through the USPS. I sent a pistol back to KelTec through Sooner State Pawn. FFLs CAN mail guns.

It is NOT illegal for a non-FFL to ship guns to a manufacturer or to an FFL through UPS or FedEx. However, those companies have a policy that requires overnight shipping. It would have cost me $50 or $60 to go this route, while having my FFL mail it priority mail only cost me about $15.

About the brown wrapper on the original box... I wouldn't recommend this. Put your original box inside of another box that doesn't identify the contents. Brown wrappers get damaged far too easily. Packages that are marked as firearms are more likely to get stolen or overlabeled in transit. It happens.

Anyone can send a long gun through the post office.

Latest posts

Top Bottom