Shooting centerfire steel with rimfire?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably a dumb question but since they sell both rated targets, I obviously know centerfire would destroy the rimfire targets, but is there any harm in doing the reverse so you can use your centerfire pistol targets for rimfire rifles?

If so, is there any adjustments to be made to distances? What is safe distance for each type of weapon to shoot swinging centerfire pistol targets? Assume FMJ for pistols, and high velocity 22lr from rimfire rifles and pistols.

Thanks

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably a dumb question but since they sell both rated targets, I obviously know centerfire would destroy the rimfire targets, but is there any harm in doing the reverse so you can use your centerfire pistol targets for rimfire rifles?

If so, is there any adjustments to be made to distances? What is safe distance for each type of weapon to shoot swinging centerfire pistol targets? Assume FMJ for pistols, and high velocity 22lr from rimfire rifles and pistols.

Thanks

I shoot 3/8 and 1/2 AR500 frequently with 22lr and 22WMR. It will not hurt the plate at all. It doesn't hardly leave a mark at even 25yds. The thing to remember is 22lr is NOT going to swing the plate much, if at all. So make sure the plate is angled down or to the side in a safe direction. While most of the time the rounds just splatter and stop dead, I have had them ricochet on occasion. You don't want them coming back at you or someone else.

I think less than 25yds is a bit to close and requires extra caution for bounce back. I regularly shoot 22lr at them from 30-75 yds without any issue though (50+ for 22WMR). All of my AR500 targets are hanging and slightly angle down when at rest (not swinging).

I also have a couple of pistol only targets rated up to 44Mag. They are the swing bar style flip over targets. 3/8" non-AR rated steel. I shoot them all the time from about 30yrds. Yes the 22 will leave a mark, but not much of one. Mine stay out in all weather and after 5 years and 1000s of rounds they are a bit pitted, but still have a lot of life left in them.
Now .223 on the other hand.... One has a hole where someone decided to "test" it with .223 at 30yds. It didn't fair well....

Now a Mosin hitting a 10lb, 1/2" thick, 10" diameter, AR500 plate at 50 yards with lead ammo (non-steel core) is brutal to the plate and the chains holding it. Ask me how I know... lol

Last edited:

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot 3/8 and 1/2 AR500 frequently with 22lr and 22WMR. It will not hurt the plate at all. It doesn't hardly leave a mark at even 25yds. The thing to remember is 22lr is NOT going to swing the plate much, if at all. So make sure the plate is angled down or to the side in a safe direction. While most of the time the rounds just splatter and stop dead, I have had them ricochet on occasion. You don't want them coming back at you or someone else.

I think less than 25yds is a bit to close and requires extra caution for bounce back. I regularly shoot 22lr at them from 30-75 yds without any issue though (50+ for 22WMR). All of my AR500 targets are hanging and slightly angle down when at rest (not swinging).

I also have a couple of pistol only targets rated up to 44Mag. They are the swing bar style flip over targets. 3/8" non-AR rated steel. I shoot them all the time from about 30yrds. Yes the 22 will leave a mark, but not much of one. Mine stay out in all weather and after 5 years and 1000s of rounds they are a bit pitted, but still have a lot of life left in them.
Now .223 on the other hand.... One has a hole where someone decided to "test" it with .223 at 30yds. It didn't fair well....

Now a Mosin hitting a 10lb, 1/2" thick, 10" diameter, AR500 plate at 50 yards with lead ammo (non-steel core) is brutal to the plate and the chains holding it. Ask me how I know... lol
Okay thanks, so you are saying 22lr on centerfire-rated RIFLE targets has the possibility of a ricochet, but the centerfire-rated PISTOL targets are fine? The once I am planning to use are the centerfire pistol targets and I just wanted to shoot 22lr pistols & rifles at them. It would appear to me that a 22 would be able to swing them enough but I have no tried it yet. I've seen hickok45 shoot rimfire on his range and I doubt he is using an rimfire-only plates LOL.

I basically just need to know if I need to spend the extra cash for the rimfire plates. Thx!

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
3/8 ar 500 in a dueling tree doesn't work with. 22. Not enough oomph to flip the paddle. 1/8 in order to get it to flipping. 50 yds on 3/8 gets a good swing on a 3 inch gong but the larger you go the less activity you get. If your wearing electronic muffs you enjoy the ping but hard pressed to see the swing on plates 6in and up.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your going to be setting up some steel, I highly recommend going to the local tractor shop and getting some baler belting . Then cutting to size, 2x6, 2x8 etc etc. It's more initial labor, but labor saved over time.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay thanks, so you are saying 22lr on centerfire-rated RIFLE targets has the possibility of a ricochet, but the centerfire-rated PISTOL targets are fine? The once I am planning to use are the centerfire pistol targets and I just wanted to shoot 22lr pistols & rifles at them. It would appear to me that a 22 would be able to swing them enough but I have no tried it yet. I've seen hickok45 shoot rimfire on his range and I doubt he is using an rimfire-only plates LOL.

I basically just need to know if I need to spend the extra cash for the rimfire plates. Thx!

Not exactly. It's all a matter of weight. The heavier plates may not swing with 22 so a ricochet in an unintended direction is more likey. If the plate is lighter it can move as intended.

Long version short. You'll just have to try it. Just use caution and figure out how your plates will behave.

I see no reason for the rimfire only plates. I have a couple of the poppers. They do not hold up even with just 22. After only 100 rds or so they are almost bet over in half. I am constantly having the straighten them back out.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a big steel gong (18”) at Wannemacher a few years ago, and I have it set up in my pasture at 200 yards. I was checking cows a while back and decided to pop off a few rounds at it with a 1911. I was about 15 yards out, and immediately after the first shot, I got hit in the thigh by a ricochet. Needless to say, I was too close and won’t do that again.

I’ve shot it with 22lr, 22mag, and 17hmr with no problem, but I don’t shoot from any closer than 25 yards and always at a slight angle.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is what I got...wanted to be able to shoot pistols at it from 20yrds or more and rimfire rifles from 25yrds or more...The discs will be plumb no matter the angle if the side posts, so not sure how I could angle them...BUT, since these are pistol targets, it would seem like a rimfire could move them enough to divert any ricochets?

https://www.atwoods.com/taylor-targets-centerfire-double-spinning-target

Last edited:

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a big steel gong (18”) at Wannemacher a few years ago, and I have it set up in my pasture at 200 yards. I was checking cows a while back and decided to pop off a few rounds at it with a 1911. I was about 15 yards out, and immediately after the first shot, I got hit in the thigh by a ricochet. Needless to say, I was too close and won’t do that again.

I’ve shot it with 22lr, 22mag, and 17hmr with no problem, but I don’t shoot from any closer than 25 yards and always at a slight angle.
I'll trust you have it hung with a backwards angle as mentioned below your post.
Either washers or nuts for spacers so the bottom kicks back to about 5 o clock.
18 inches damn that's a bigun. That's almost the broad side of a barn 🤣 or man size.😁.

Latest posts

Top Bottom