Shotgun Ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluegrassZ71

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As others have said, the Walmart 4 packs are your best bet for standard 3 dram 12 ga loads if you’re not already set up to reload or don’t enjoy doing so. Using current bulk component prices, I would be at $7.98 all in per box for 1-1/8oz reloads. Shot is the most expensive component so you save a little by dropping the payload…$7.55 all in per box for 1 oz reloads.

It’s a different story if you want or need something that isn’t readily available like a slow 1oz or 7/8 oz load for a new or youth shooter (or an adult who is recoil sensitive).

Since you have components you could see if someone in your area would let you use their equipment and help you load up some shells.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got the components to reload, or most of them, just don't have the space for it right now, or much experience with it, that's why I didn't go that route with my question.

Some of those $8 boxes are ammo I've never used or heard of.
Not that I'm worldly or anything.....
If this was a discussion about rifle ammo for hunting, I’d be much more concerned about a ”brand name”, but for target shotgun ammo, I don’t give a rat’s hairy butt whose name is on the box as long as it’s cheap and breaks clays.

I’ve got several cases of Noble I got a deal on a few years ago, and I’ve shot a ton of Rio over the years. You’re more likely to pay a premium if you try to stick with the old major names, but some people just like to stick with major brand names.:anyone:

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been looking around at #8 shot shells for clay shooting and it seems like there is very little under $10 a box - maybe $8.
I can find it, it's just pricey. I'm shooting through what I've had for a while but at some point I need to start replacing it.

Other than reloading.... what are you guys doing, waiting or just biting the bullet and handing over the cash?
Probably best to just buy the 100 rd value paks at Walmart. I stocked up back when they were 17-19 bucks per 100. In no time at all you'll be saying glad i bought these when they were only 32 bucks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom