ShotGun Guru's....HELP!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
The reallity of the inter-web; people with strong opinions will debate a topic to minutiae. I.E. whats better a Ford, or a Chevy, 9mm/45, pump or auto......add infinitum.

"Anything will do as long as you know how to use it."

"Now just take that shotgun and fire two blasts....and they wont be coming in"

I think this proves you need at least a double barrel!

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
What is the difference in loading an 870 vs an 1100?
Complicated? I don't see where your coming from, but I'm always open to learning.

The Remington 1100 has the most backwards, moronic, complicated loading / unloading method of any shotgun I've ever touched. Granted, I don't have that much experience, but they suck; to put it shortly.

First, there is the lifter latch. This locks the lifter in the "down" position unless depressed. Once depressed, you can push the lifter up and load a shell; however, it snaps back down and re-latches after each shell is loaded. If you were using the "load two" method with one right behind the other you can get in two. Hence the Dave's EZ-Loader for the Rem 1100/11-87

Rem1100LifterLatch.jpg

Second, the bolt locks back unless it is in operation from a fired shell. To release also requires manipulation of the lifter latch. So to unload, you have to retract the bolt, which ejects the round in the chamber, and locks the bolt back. Then hit the latch, releasing the bolt and loading the next shell. Repeat until empty.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The real non sequitur here is the idea that sniper accuracy has anything to do with the conversation started by the OP.

This has turned into a typical internet pissing match, although at a reasonably courteous level. In probably 90% of the home defense situations, a single shot 12 gauge would do the job nicely and a double would be overkill.

You don't want to play the odds game here. The odds of someone breaking into your home and requiring the firing of even a single shot is quite low; so you've already lost the "odds are" game if you've fired your gun in the first place. Do you want to play the "odds are" you won't need another one game with your life on the line?

I don't, so I have a gun with more than one round for SD.

KurtM, if I'm reading your posts right, you're saying that given the same, adequate (or more), amount of training, that a person is better suited by a semi-auto shotgun than a pump?

I certainly don't think I've heard you say that just handing someone a semi-auto will suddenly make them an expert.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Grab the gun in your bedroom and hold your ground they won't be coming after you after the first shot.

I do agree that you should never hunt in your own house, but I disagree with the rest of your premiss.

I don't know what the Op's situation is, but I am getting tired of hearing the "just hide out in your bedroom with a gun" answer to a lot of questions regarding home invasions. I don't know what the stats are, but a lot of people don't live alone. I have a decent sized house, and the three entrances to my hose have one thing in common. They divide the master bedroom from the other living quarters. I know the point that Kurt was trying to make, but let me explain to ttown why I would prefer a semi over my pump shotgun, and why my go-to gun is an AR or a pistol. I have 6 kids, so if someone kicks my door down, I can't just hide and wait, and while clearing my house, it might be necessary to open a door, or grab a child or any number of things. You tell me how I am gonna be best served by a gun that maximizes my involvement in it's operation? I agree that barricading and ambushing is the best method, but it doesn't work for all of us.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Remington 1100 has the most backwards, moronic, complicated loading / unloading method of any shotgun I've ever touched. Granted, I don't have that much experience, but they suck; to put it shortly.

First, there is the lifter latch. This locks the lifter in the "down" position unless depressed. Once depressed, you can push the lifter up and load a shell; however, it snaps back down and re-latches after each shell is loaded. If you were using the "load two" method with one right behind the other you can get in two. Hence the Dave's EZ-Loader for the Rem 1100/11-87

View attachment 30424

Second, the bolt locks back unless it is in operation from a fired shell. To release also requires manipulation of the lifter latch. So to unload, you have to retract the bolt, which ejects the round in the chamber, and locks the bolt back. Then hit the latch, releasing the bolt and loading the next shell. Repeat until empty.

I've got so many rounds through my 1100 over the years on the trap ranges, that I don't even notice any difficulty in loading or operating it. Just comes naturally. Just like Kurt said: Its because of familiarity with the platform.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
NickatKimber, yes I am saying that with adequate training a person is much better served with an auto.

No I have never said giving a neophyte an auto makes them an expert, nor any other weapon system.

In TTowns defence he clearly states that there is more than meets the eye for home defence and eludes to where people go etc. I know that when I say don't hunt in your own house, what I mean is find a place in your home where everyone behind you is where you consider safe, and hold that area. If folks are scattered all over the house, you very well may have to do some clearing to round them all up into your safe zone.

If an 1100/1187 doesn't clear out by just racking the bolt back and forth, your interceptor latch is not in time.

Finally..Denis...RIGHT ON! Years behind a system is what we are talking about, when we say manual of arm...knowing the system inside and out!

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You don't want to play the odds game here. The odds of someone breaking into your home and requiring the firing of even a single shot is quite low; so you've already lost the "odds are" game if you've fired your gun in the first place. Do you want to play the "odds are" you won't need another one game with your life on the line?

I don't, so I have a gun with more than one round for SD.

You sorta missed the whole point. But, nevermind.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To hopefully end this pissing match, choose what every shot gun you want to shoot. If your comfortable with a Maverick, or if your comfortable with a Benelli, 1100, just practice with it.

Practice with it in a real world situation.

USING DUMMY ROUNDS ONLY! have your spouse wake you up from a deep sleep, and time you doing a reload vs one in the middle of the afternoon.

Yes, your gun may already loaded, but some don't with kids in the house. Pistols included.

Have somebody slam a door to wake you up. Practice what you will do with zero light, in the middle of the night. Put yourself in a closet with no light to see how you do. Having your shotgun/pistol in a closet by the front door is insane. It has to be within reach, period.

You won't have the luxury of going into your kids room to rescue them. The home invasion will be quick and it will be violent. The home invaders will be relying on the element of suprise to catch you unprepared, and you will be, if you don't prepare yourself for this scenerio.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You won't have the luxury of going into your kids room to rescue them. The home invasion will be quick and it will be violent. The home invaders will be relying on the element of suprise to catch you unprepared, and you will be, if you don't prepare yourself for this scenerio.

But, that doesn't mean that you won't have to go check afterwards, or at least gather them up while still being ready to meet an additional threat. You also can't tell me that every scenario will be quick and violent, remember the lady near Manford who had the drunk guy beating on her patio door for 5 min before he finally broke in? You are correct, every scenario must be considered, including the one where the window they come in is my kid's window, like what happened to a friend of mine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom