Shotgun Hogs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is correct that hogs are not defined as wildlife. The wording of the pellet restriction is confusing. It is saying no person may possess shotgun pellet size larger than BB unless you are taking waterfowl or crane. So no buckshot for hogs yet. However if you read Title 800 25-37-14 (11) C. It states that if obtaining the night shooting permit for feral swine, there is no firearms restrictions. So no buckshot unless your hunting with the night permit issued by the wildlife dept. And the buckshot law was to criminalize the possession of it in the field due to the common use of it while running deer with dogs.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some of the local game wardens will tell you they will not write you for this infraction if you are hunting hogs or coyotes and they know you. If you are a known problem child(read poacher) then you can forget it.

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why use a shotgun with slugs when you can use a centerfire rifle? I'm not seeing the advantage.

For me it is generally because I will carry a couple slugs with me while Spring Turkey hunting for any Hog opportunity that I may have.

Also, there have been times I have stalked hog trails through very thick brush and briars. Where shots encountered are very close and through very thick brush. Not much will stop the trajectory of a heavy slug under 20 yards. Many rifle bullets will shatter or deflect in those instances.

Some public areas too require the use of shotguns. Besides if your shotgun is of the type that is as accurate as your rifle for the range your shooting, why not use it?

awww.fototime.com_8AA9993386F47B4_standard.jpg

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is correct that hogs are not defined as wildlife. The wording of the pellet restriction is confusing. It is saying no person may possess shotgun pellet size larger than BB unless you are taking waterfowl or crane. So no buckshot for hogs yet. However if you read Title 800 25-37-14 (11) C. It states that if obtaining the night shooting permit for feral swine, there is no firearms restrictions. So no buckshot unless your hunting with the night permit issued by the wildlife dept. And the buckshot law was to criminalize the possession of it in the field due to the common use of it while running deer with dogs.

Thank you Sir!

But I want to ask about something.
Shotgun Pellet Size

No person in the field may possess or attempt to harvest any wildlife, except waterfowl and crane, with a shotgun using shot larger than conventional BB (.180 in. diameter.)

So is it true there is no maximum shot size restriction for Cranes/Waterfowl. Meaning some idiot could legally be shooting hevi shot buckshot at Cranes? Is buckshot defined as shot? Seems like that creates a dangerous situation for persons even far down range.

Latest posts

Top Bottom