shotgun in hand when answering unexpected knocks on door

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
be careful - I don't remember the law exactly - but if you go outside, to "TALK" or "CONFRONT" someone with that gun in hand you could be in trouble.

a friend's son was being harrassed in front yard by kids his age, dad comes out on front pourch and shows them the gun, says "go home" - dad gets arrested and he had to go to court. Happened in BA about 8 years ago.

what i am saying is - gun in house one thing, gun outside of house a differrent thing.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Live in the country, outside city limits... take a box of shells with you... and head to the range for some practice. I mow our property with a 4" .357 OWB open carried.

no kids here yet, so this doesn't answer your question. But I always either have a gun nearby, or on my person. I don't know if I'd answer with a shot gun, but I do answer with a pistol.

If I did have kids, not much would change, other than making sure any gun that was "nearby" but not on my person was up high enough that little ones coudln't get to it. I think I'd hang a shotty up over the bedroom door, and maybe somewhere around the entry way. "Coat closet," anyone?

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
it's a catch 22... guns in the safe can't do much good
high value guns end up in gun safe... that's why I like my Mossberg. it's always out ... ready to go.

my boys are old enough to know, assume all guns are loaded. which they probably are. when I bring home a weapon. I'll make sure my boys handle it all they want. after that it's loaded and left alone.

How do you folks grab the shotty so fast? Mine is in a safe, due to 5 year old kiddo. Means I would have to first go to safe, open safe, grab and go. What sort of access do you folks have?

JNURSE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would not answer the door with a long gun. Too unwielding at that distance. Opening the door requires me to only have one hand on the gun. If its too dangerous to go to the door without a gun; it too dangerous to go there with a gun. If I dont expect danger I answer the door with a pistol. If I expect danger, I dont open the door.

Latest posts

Top Bottom