They are knocking on our door, we thought we safe here

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lee1000

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was at the Empire Bar the other day and found an Urban Tulsa magazine, at the top of the cover page I found this line "Vanity of Vanities! Lawmakers chasing the wind on school militarization.”

I took the magazine home, read it and sent Urban Tulsa an email in reply to it. If you want these anti-gun writers to get out of our back yard I would suggest you do the same. Feel free to copy and paste from what I wrote below and sent it to them. More people the better. You may want to correct any grammar mistakes I made though.

Dear Arnold Hamilton,

This is in response to your article about arming teachers in the Urban Tulsa Magazine.

While you are right in that the rifle used in the Hook shooting was formidable, it isn't a magic plasma gun either. A long rifle like that is hard to maneuver for the untrained, especially while being shot at. I read that the Principal had charged the shooter before she was shot and killed, why not enable someone with that kind of courage and provide them the means to defend kids? Currently, teachers are legally prohibited from carrying a gun to protect kids, this is unacceptable. Allowing teachers to carry can have an immediate impact, we need to turn these soft targets into hard target and this can be done inconspicuously with concealed carry. Just so you know, there are guns already in schools and cops carry them. Why force teachers to wait on the cops when they are perfectly capable of stopping a shooting like this, it has happened before.

You say no one needs a semiautomatic rifle (AKA assault rifle) for self-defense, what would you recommend? Hunting rifle, shotgun etc. There is a lot to be said for using a .223 caliber rifle for defending your home. That round doesn’t over penetrate like a handgun or shotgun would, that’s an important consideration for people with a family. It also less deadly than a shotgun round.

High capacity magazines were banned for ten years (94-04) and not a single credible study was able to attribute it to a decrease in crime. Even the anti-gun Hopkins report was unable to say it did anything to prevent crime. The last AWB limited magazine capacity to 10 rounds, if that was sufficient then the police would carry that many. They don’t carry that many for a very good reason, they never know what will happen, hence they prepare for it.

I’ve tried to have a conversion with pro-gun control people and not only do they want an assault weapons ban, they want a ban on all semiautomatic guns (ie handguns & hunting shotguns). Their position is unreasonable, unrealistic and the American people will not stand for it. The current AWB legislation will force all owners of semi-automatic guns to register them. By the way, Canada had a registry and they repelled it because it was too costly.

The fact of the matter is there are millions of semi-automatic rifles out there and the government doesn’t know who possesses them. The best thing we can do today is enable the school faculty to protect our children. We train millions of 17 and 18 year olds how shoot machine guns every year in the military. I’m sure our teachers are more than capable of handling a small handgun.

Very Respectfully,
Lee

You can email them using the link below. After you send the email you will recieve a verification email. Please be sure to click on the link in the email and then send it. If you don't, they wont get the email at all.
[email protected]

Article here
http://www.urbantulsa.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid:55509

Last edited:

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good points. Thank you for speaking up.

I would slightly differ with you in that it should be voluntary for teachers to carry a firearm. As others have stated, only those who voluntarily take on the responsibility can be expected to use a firearm. By making it clear that teacher carry is voluntary we also do away with the crazy image of a gun-hating teacher having a firearm thrust upon them. Allowing teachers to carry is still going to sound crazy to gun-haters but less so. For more details see Larry Coreia's argument: http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/2012/12/20/an-opinion-on-gun-control/

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Urban Tulsa is a second rate piece of journalistic garbage. Not too surprising they would print that.

That writer owns a whole weekly newspaper of his own in OKC (Oklahoma Observer - used to be published by Frosty Troy) to spout his foolishness. The UTW is just his Tulsa column outlet.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A nit:

"Deadly" is a binary term. You're either dead or you're not. Something can't be "more deadly" or "less deadly" than another thing. It's like being pregnant. You are, or you're not.

And it's worth pointing out that the VA Tech shooting was carried out with 15-round magazines.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Bill Coye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You realize that aired on 12/15/2012 right?QUOTE]

Of course. Is there another report stating otherwise?

The CT Chief Medical Examiners interview was no help as he avoided all questions about caliber.

There are many other "news" reports about second shooters, a rifle being removed from the trunk of a car, etc.

I haven't seen anything comprehensive yet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom