1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Shotgun loads for coyotes

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by indi, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Shadowrider

Shadowrider Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I think it's in the general section of the regs. ETA: Yep.
    IMG_5776.PNG

indi likes this.
  2. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Texas has no restrictions that I’m aware of. I’ve seen posts on the Texas varmint forums of 00 buck.

Cowcatcher likes this.
  3. ignerntbend

ignerntbend Sharpshooter

There is no way to make sense of a restriction like that. Just another aggravation to put up with. You can safely shoot a coyote with #4 but #1 will carry far enough to kill Mrs. O'Leary's cow? Ridiculous.

Cowcatcher likes this.
  4. swampratt

swampratt Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Ok so I was confused a bit on the wording "Buckshot" so I looked up shot sizes.

#4 "Buckshot" is .240" diameter and what I thought #4 was #4 shot and some fool put Buck in front of the word Shot for some reason.
    Not the case as #4 shot size is .13" diameter do not confuse the terms I suppose.

Shot size chart.
    https://www.hunter-ed.com/images/pdfs/ammo_shot_sizes.pdf

Now backbore or overbore to the shotgun could increase the pellet count in your group.
    I was surprised when testing loads that a larger choke actually made the steel shot group tighter and then I tested it on some lead loads in different guns I have and my shortest barrel actually grouped tightest.

I have shot #4 turkey max load 3 1/2" 12 gauge load at 40 yards and it groups very tight lets a lot of light through a 55 gallon barrel.It was a light single shot shotgun, it brigs tears to your eyes. And when the water clears you look to see where that mule came from that kicked you.

MacFromOK likes this.