Shotgun loads for coyotes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hd no idea. Where can I find this, I must of missed it in the hunting regs.
I think it's in the general section of the regs. ETA: Yep.
IMG_5776.PNG

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is no way to make sense of a restriction like that. Just another aggravation to put up with. You can safely shoot a coyote with #4 but #1 will carry far enough to kill Mrs. O'Leary's cow? Ridiculous.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok so I was confused a bit on the wording "Buckshot" so I looked up shot sizes.

#4 "Buckshot" is .240" diameter and what I thought #4 was #4 shot and some fool put Buck in front of the word Shot for some reason.
Not the case as #4 shot size is .13" diameter do not confuse the terms I suppose.

Shot size chart.
https://www.hunter-ed.com/images/pdfs/ammo_shot_sizes.pdf

Now backbore or overbore to the shotgun could increase the pellet count in your group.
I was surprised when testing loads that a larger choke actually made the steel shot group tighter and then I tested it on some lead loads in different guns I have and my shortest barrel actually grouped tightest.

I have shot #4 turkey max load 3 1/2" 12 gauge load at 40 yards and it groups very tight lets a lot of light through a 55 gallon barrel.It was a light single shot shotgun, it brigs tears to your eyes. And when the water clears you look to see where that mule came from that kicked you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom