Shotshell Load Data

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I decided I’m going to do some reloading for my 12 gauge. I used to reload and shoot a lot of skeet years ago and I moved to to metallic reloading and have only shot store bought on-sale birdshot to use at the local matches.

I want to load some 00 Buckshot and 1oz Lee Slugs.

I need to find a source for some data.

I’d like to find a recipe for some components I’ve had stuffed in the corner for a while.

Hulls.....Fiocchi primed hulls 2 3/4” hulls.

Wads....
Claybusters CB1114-12 for 00 Buckshot
Claybusters SW250-12 for Slugs

I have Lee molds for the 00 Buckshot and 1oz Drive Key Slugs.

Im open to suggestions for powder. Ideally I’d prefer a low recoil type load. My rebuilt shoulder would appreciate it.

I have a Lyman Manual, but it’s not helping with my mix of components.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have some older shotshell loading manuals in the shop. I'll make a note to myself to see if any meet your requirements. Don't remember any slug loads though, but I'd think a one ounce slug should have the same requirements as a load of 1 oz birdshot?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is the load data I have for Fiocchi hulls using Aliant powder.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 322

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have much respect for anyone who reloads shotshells. There's a lot more to it as far as component selection and other variables than with rifle or handgun cartridges. I made some dummy rounds for practice loading and that was an eye opening experience.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How specific do the loads have to be?

Will there be a failure if the listed wad isn’t used with the listed weight of shot? What about the weight of the shot? For instance, will a load for 1oz of birdshot work for a 1oz slug and not cause problems?

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Published recipes should be followed to the letter, any substitution, with the exception of a direct replacement wad
can raise pressures drastically.
I have no load data for Fiocchi hulls but the data that dennishobby posted will work for 00 buck that closely matches
the desired shot weight with the listed hull and wad.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How specific do the loads have to be?

Will there be a failure if the listed wad isn’t used with the listed weight of shot? What about the weight of the shot? For instance, will a load for 1oz of birdshot work for a 1oz slug and not cause problems?
What I found after years of shotshell loading is that the wad is the big playmaker to make a finished shell. If you look at the data I provided for a 1 1/8 oz shotshell to achieve 1250 fps velocity there are 10 different wads that can be used with the combinations of 5 different powders offered in the Aliant line to get that 1250 fps.
If you use a wad too long for the load listed, the mouth of the shell will not properly close. If a wad is too short the end of the shell will collapse when crimping.
So, the purpose of the wad is to achieve the proper length of the powder/wad/shot column within the confines of the shell so it can be crimped properly.
The pressures of each load combo is included in the data provided and you can see they vary a bit, but nothing dangerous as long as the correct amount of shot and powder is used.
I can't offer any loading data for slugs. I'm sure the internet has some out there, but if your using a smoothbore the modern forester slugs basically rattle their way down the barrel and exit the choke where the constriction steadies it. They can be shot through modern full chokes, but older shotguns didn't have the steel we have today so manufacturers don't recommend shooting slugs through full chokes at all.
Personally I'd have no issue using 1 oz shot loads to power 1 oz slugs but again, that would be what I'd do, but recommend further research for others before trying it.
Fully rifled shotgun barrels or shotguns with rifled chokes are a different breed altogether that I have zero experience with for reloading.

Latest posts

Top Bottom