Shotshell reloading..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking for insight on reloading shotshells. Daughters trap/sporting clays habit is getting expensive so I'm considering getting an entry level reloader. I've never reloaded before so I'm kinda clueless.

Looked at the mec 600jr, rcbs mini grand and the lee precision ii. Lee is the cheapest, but reviews are little iffy, some problems with crimping I guess. Other two are basically the same money and similar design, reviews.

Any insight or opinions are appreciated. She shoots around 2 cases a month now, but as she improves she wants to shoot more so that may go up sometime in the future. (Kind of a cool problem to have) We'll be loading 12ga, low recoil for a semi auto if that matters.

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When heavily into trap shooting years ago, I bought the RCBS Grand. Most of the other guys were using the Mec-600. I could certainly outrun them in volume and spend a whole lot less time on the handle. One of the guys I shot with went so far as to put a pneumatic cylinder on the ram and used a foot switch to run it up and down so his hands could stay busy loading wads and hulls into the loader.
Yeah, its more expensive, but if you value your free time, go with the RCBS Grand. Where the shells eject, I cut a 3" hole in the table top with a hole saw, and put a 5 gallon bucket underneath. They just fell through the hole and I didn't have them all over the bench.
Which ever way you go, check with Ricks Shooting Supplies. He specializes in shotshell reloading supplies and sells reclaimed shot for a whole lot less than 1st run shot. It's a mix of 9, 8, & 7 1/2, but for practice, it's great. Rick lives in Ponca City, but goes all over the state shooting trap. He takes a trailer load of supplies with him to sell and take to buyers that have ordered from him to save shipping. He sells powder, primers, shot and hulls.
http://www.ricksshootingsupplies.com/

701a2d9b4c12c90135689756577279a9.jpg

Last edited:

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot 6K or 7K shotshells a year with Registered Skeet Shooting. I use a MEC 9000 for all 4 gauges and can load 300 or more shotshells in an hour. These machines are expensive at $600 each but for high volume shooting they are nice. If you are doing low volume shooting then look at the 600 jr. If mid volume shooting look into the Grabber. If high volume look into the Progressive 9000; especially with the Automate. If you want the Cadillac - check into the Spolar Gold.

DT Jeff

Marksman
Reaction score
Had two boys (wife's kids) in the Scholastic Clay Target Program for several years. I started with the MEC-600 and as their practice and match volume increased we ended up going with a Spolar Gold powered unit. Unfortunately they couldn't keep up their end of the bargain (grades C or above) so I stopped it and their mother filed for divorce, oh well. The Spolar was truly able to match the factory premium loads and save beacoup money that is until the price of shot went thru the roof. With just two cases a month I would start with the MEC-600

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When heavily into trap shooting years ago, I bought the RCBS Grand. Most of the other guys were using the Mec-600. I could certainly outrun them in volume and spend a whole lot less time on the handle. One of the guys I shot with went so far as to put a pneumatic cylinder on the ram and used a foot switch to run it up and down so his hands could stay busy loading wads and hulls into the loader.
Yeah, its more expensive, but if you value your free time, go with the RCBS Grand. Where the shells eject, I cut a 3" hole in the table top with a hole saw, and put a 5 gallon bucket underneath. They just fell through the hole and I didn't have them all over the bench.
Which ever way you go, check with Ricks Shooting Supplies. He specializes in shotshell reloading supplies and sells reclaimed shot for a whole lot less than 1st run shot. It's a mix of 9, 8, & 7 1/2, but for practice, it's great. Rick lives in Ponca City, but goes all over the state shooting trap. He takes a trailer load of supplies with him to sell and take to buyers that have ordered from him to save shipping. He sells powder, primers, shot and hulls.
http://www.ricksshootingsupplies.com/

701a2d9b4c12c90135689756577279a9.jpg

I can't say enough good things about Rick. Great guy and good prices. He was able to find powder when nobody had it during the shortage a couple years back.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't say enough good things about Rick. Great guy and good prices. He was able to find powder when nobody had it during the shortage a couple years back.
Super nice guy.(One hell of a trap shooter too) Your right, I bought an 8lb jug of unique from him for pistol loads when it was non-existant elsewhere.

scottb42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never ordered anything from him before, but I received a notice that Rick is supposed to be at the Sooner Open at the OKC Gun Club Saturday 6/17 from 9A to 3P.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Super nice guy.(One hell of a trap shooter too) Your right, I bought an 8lb jug of unique from him for pistol loads when it was non-existant elsewhere.

Yep. I swear he was the first guy in the US to come up with Hodgdon Universal and Hodgdon International after the ADI fire in Australia. I posted a picture of an 8 lb jug of Universal I got from Rick with the date stamp on the Shotgun World Forum. Shooters from all over the country couldn't believe that a dealer in Oklahoma was able to get his hands on this powder.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never ordered anything from him before, but I received a notice that Rick is supposed to be at the Sooner Open at the OKC Gun Club Saturday 6/17 from 9A to 3P.

Yes. He is scheduled to be at the Sooner Open in OKC this weekend. He is at most OKC Gun Club and Tulsa Gun Club Skeet Shoots. I'm not sure about his Trap Shoot schedule. Give him a call and place an order. He will bring it with him - it doesn't get much easier. Also, he usually has extra powder, primers, and shot for those that don't order in advance.

Latest posts

Top Bottom