Should I be concerned?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty much all shotshells are steel based now with some brass flashed on them.
In American made ammo, the difference between hi and low brass has always been a marketing tool to sell to the hunter. High brass = magnum loads, low brass = dove loads which isn't true.
In reality I've loaded thousands of "magnum" shells with low brass. The chamber contains the pressure, not the .008 brass. Some shotshells ae pure plastic with zero brass.
Every shotshell I know of now can be picked up with a magnet. That is what I use when busting some clays. The AA shells can be picked up but they have more brass than steel and don't come readily to the magnet.
Polishing up the chamber like you suggested may work very well.
If it doesn't, you've at least eliminated that possibility and can move on to something else.
I knew about the steel part, but I was wondering, why add the brass? For corrosion resistance and the surface lubricity to aid with extraction?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If those are out of the same lot I'd be contacting the distributor. Otherwise I wouldn't sweat it a lot unless shooting them says otherwise. As for the powder, it looks like a normal everyday flake shotgun powder in your pic.

On a similar note, Will Andrews posted up on FB that in his class this weekend his trusted 590A1 went down in class. So he switched to his backup 870 and it promptly went down too. They were extracting the base of the shell and leaving the hull in the chamber. It wasn't Russian ammo, it was Remington Heavy Dove. I guess Big Green still has some pains.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I knew about the steel part, but I was wondering, why add the brass? For corrosion resistance and the surface lubricity to aid with extraction?
That would be my guess, although they could use lacquer on steel, but that would not work for the traditionalist that need to see brass.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
That would be my guess, although they could use lacquer on steel, but that would not work for the traditionalist that need to see brass.
I can see that. While I’m not a traditionalist, and I shoot a ton of steel case stuff, I would have second thoughts about picking up a box of raw steel or lacquered steel shot shells.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can see that. While I’m not a traditionalist, and I shoot a ton of steel case stuff, I would have second thoughts about picking up a box of raw steel or lacquered steel shot shells.
I'm betting it's going to head that way. The flashing of brass contributes to the cost of the shells, and everyone is into saving a penny. Those penny's do add up to the corporate success though.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm betting it's going to head that way. The flashing of brass contributes to the cost of the shells, and everyone is into saving a penny. Those penny's do add up to the corporate success though.
From a Logical standpoint I agree. However, I have my doubts. There’s just too much money in wingshooting. Too many guys who are happy to spend tens of thousands on dogs, tens of thousands on shotguns, and hundreds if not thousands of dollars per day to shoot little birds by day and enjoy fine dining and expensive whiskey by night. If ammo companies started shoving steel cases rounds on those guys they would lose their minds. Skeet shooters who send tens of thousands of rounds into a field per year maybe, but not the upland game guys.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From a Logical standpoint I agree. However, I have my doubts. There’s just too much money in wingshooting. Too many guys who are happy to spend tens of thousands on dogs, tens of thousands on shotguns, and hundreds if not thousands of dollars per day to shoot little birds by day and enjoy fine dining and expensive whiskey by night. If ammo companies started shoving steel cases rounds on those guys they would lose their minds. Skeet shooters who send tens of thousands of rounds into a field per year maybe, but not the upland game guys.
Heck I want to spend that money on dogs and whisky! Bring on the brass! :laugh6:
I don't disagree.

Sted-E Ed-E

LET’S GO BRANDON!
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If those are out of the same lot I'd be contacting the distributor. Otherwise I wouldn't sweat it a lot unless shooting them says otherwise. As for the powder, it looks like a normal everyday flake shotgun powder in your pic.

On a similar note, Will Andrews posted up on FB that in his class this weekend his trusted 590A1 went down in class. So he switched to his backup 870 and it promptly went down too. They were extracting the base of the shell and leaving the hull in the chamber. It wasn't Russian ammo, it was Remington Heavy Dove. I guess Big Green still has some pains.
I’ll have to check the lot #’s but like I said I didn’t even get em at the same store. The consistency of the powder that concerns me, but it’s kinda green looking. Like it oxidized.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some powder is very green colored that is not an issue.
If you have a chrony you could shoot some through it to test or just pattern both rounds and see what you get.

I would not worry about height of the "brass"

Latest posts

Top Bottom