Should I be concerned?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone has had this problem, but my Remington 870 pump action does not like low brass. It will fail to eject them and jambs in the chamber. When I say low brass it has been when they have a steel or some sort of alloy base. High brass has never been a problem. I've had to disassemble to remove the shot shell after firing.
Probably could use a new extractor and spring and plunger.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone has had this problem, but my Remington 870 pump action does not like low brass. It will fail to eject them and jambs in the chamber. When I say low brass it has been when they have a steel or some sort of alloy base. High brass has never been a problem. I've had to disassemble to remove the shot shell after firing.
Is this an 870 Express? I heard some of them have rough chambers and don't like some brands of ammo.
Read on the internet folks have used all kinds of techniques to smooth out the chamber to fix the problem.

Sted-E Ed-E

LET’S GO BRANDON!
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
^^sorry for thread hijack OP.
Don't know much about Russinski ammo for to blast Bambi deer.
No problem at all, any discussion about actual guns or shooting is great in my opinion! As long as this doesn’t turn into another COVID thread I’m happy! Talking **** about Biden is also welcome! Lol

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably could use a new extractor and spring and plunger.
Heck, the shotgun probably hasn't had 25-30 shells through it, if that many. Again, it's only been an issue with steel based "low brass". My thoughts have been that the brass base "high brass" shells snap back better after firing and the steel based once fired, stays stretched out against the chamber. Thought of taking some Flitz polish and polishing the chamber some.

I only use the shot gun mainly for personal defense with a 18 1/2 barrel. It is loaded with the first two shells being bird shot and the next two being double ought buckshot. Kept under the bed. Not that I'm too worried about invaders, since we live in a very quiet and so far very safe neighborhood that is semi-rural. But one never knows! I've only played around with it a few times to test the function.

I don't believe it is the extractor or spring and plunger. The two times it happened I had a heck of a time getting the spent shell out after disassembling the shotgun????? Appreciate your suggestion.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Heck, the shotgun probably hasn't had 25-30 shells through it, if that many. Again, it's only been an issue with steel based "low brass". My thoughts have been that the brass base "high brass" shells snap back better after firing and the steel based once fired, stays stretched out against the chamber. Thought of taking some Flitz polish and polishing the chamber some.

I only use the shot gun mainly for personal defense with a 18 1/2 barrel. It is loaded with the first two shells being bird shot and the next two being double ought buckshot. Kept under the bed. Not that I'm too worried about invaders, since we live in a very quiet and so far very safe neighborhood that is semi-rural. But one never knows! I've only played around with it a few times to test the function.

I don't believe it is the extractor or spring and plunger. The two times it happened I had a heck of a time getting the spent shell out after disassembling the shotgun????? Appreciate your suggestion.
Pretty much all shotshells are steel based now with some brass flashed on them.
In American made ammo, the difference between hi and low brass has always been a marketing tool to sell to the hunter. High brass = magnum loads, low brass = dove loads which isn't true.
In reality I've loaded thousands of "magnum" shells with low brass. The chamber contains the pressure, not the .008 brass. Some shotshells ae pure plastic with zero brass.
Every shotshell I know of now can be picked up with a magnet. That is what I use when busting some clays. The AA shells can be picked up but they have more brass than steel and don't come readily to the magnet.
Polishing up the chamber like you suggested may work very well.
If it doesn't, you've at least eliminated that possibility and can move on to something else.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty much all shotshells are steel based now with some brass flashed on them.
In American made ammo, the difference between hi and low brass has always been a marketing tool to sell to the hunter. High brass = magnum loads, low brass = dove loads which isn't true.
In reality I've loaded thousands of "magnum" shells with low brass. The chamber contains the pressure, not the .008 brass. Some shotshells ae pure plastic with zero brass.
Every shotshell I know of now can be picked up with a magnet. That is what I use when busting some clays. The AA shells can be picked up but they have more brass than steel and don't come readily to the magnet.
Polishing up the chamber like you suggested may work very well.
If it doesn't, you've at least eliminated that possibility and can move on to something else.
Learn something new every day. Thanks!

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@dennishoddy

Not that I doubted you about all shotshells being steel based. I just checked the "brass" based shells I had with a magnet. You are correct, a magnet stuck.
I'm a "trust but verify" type guy! :)

I just checked the shells I had an issue with. They are Federal Game & Target load 12 gauge - 3 1/4 dram EQ. - 1 once shot - 8 shot 2 3/4" short brass loads. They are not some off brand. Go Figure! Still have 1 full box and one missing 4. Think I'll polish the chamber. Again thanks for the info. I always assumed the brass based shells were in fact brass. Goes to show............never assume anything! :)

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stick your finger in the chamber and feel for a ridge alongside the top left had side of the chamber. I’m willing to bet you’ll find one. I had one on my 2012ish vintage 870. Took the shotgun apart, Dremeled the burr off, polished the crap out of it, and never had the problem again. First three shells I shot out of the shotgun before fixing this resulted in me having to mortar strike it to extract the shells.

Latest posts

Top Bottom