Side Thread: Outlawing hog hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How are they planning to gain permission to fly over private property and shoot hogs??

I don't have any hogs on my property right now, but, if I did, I wouldn't want anybody just indiscriminately flying over and blasting stuff!!

You own the land, not the airspace above it.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You own the land, not the airspace above it.

and until pigs starting flying they would be shooting them while they are on your private property. I dont really think people releasing hogs is that big of a problem and like already posted it is illegal. I think the whole notion of making it illegal to hunt hogs and letting the government handle it is dumb. Look at all the other programs they cant run.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry to have to tell you guys, but the ODW has been shooting hogs and coyotes from helicoptors for a long time.
I'm pretty sure its over land that they have been given permission to do so.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to see all for-profit hog hunting operations be outlawed. "$250, guaranteed boar" Yeah, fine that jackass and make him weedaeat guardrails. He's the problem. Actually it's too late, they should have *****-slapped these guys starting in the late 80's.

Rural rednecks selling hog hunts to fat city rednecks is how we got this problem in the first place. Where do you think the hog explosion came from? Farmers? Ahahahaha. Idiots trapping and transplanting and encouraging the breeding of these giant rats so other idiots can "hunt" them is how we got here. Ask the Missouri Department of Conservation where their hogs came from.

When did the hog population explode? When did these jackasses start propagating "sport hog hunting"? Not a coincidence.

originally posted by Missouri Department of Conservation

How Did The Problem Arise?

Feral hogs have been roaming some Missouri counties since the days of open range. Local people typically kept these isolated populations in check.

The situation took a wrong turn in the 1990s when hog hunting for recreation began to gain popularity. Groups began raising and promoting European wild boar as a form of alternative agriculture and for hunting on licensed shooting areas. It wasn’t long before many of these hogs escaped or were released intentionally on public land.

Because feral hogs are highly adaptable and prolific breeders, their numbers began growing at an alarming rate, and by 2000, the Conservation Department was receiving damage complaints from private landowners. Today feral hog populations are established in several Missouri counties, and sightings occur across the state.

Why Is Hunting For Feral Hogs Discouraged?

Although it seems a contradiction, hunters who target feral hogs interfere with efforts to eradicate them. For example, weeks may be spent conditioning a group of hogs to come to a specific location so they can be eliminated in a single control action. If, during that time, a hunter kills one or maybe two of the hogs, the rest of the group moves to a new area, which means that the lengthy and expensive eradication process must begin again at a new location. Because the goal is to eliminate feral hogs, the Conservation Department seeks to discourage the hog hunting culture. If you want to hunt specifically for feral hogs, you should do so in another state, not in Missouri.

At least Missouri has the stones to say it like it is. Hog hunting culture got us here.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't think any species of animal should be wiped out of a given area.
I have to disagree. If it is a non native species that can harm the native wildlife it needs to be eradicated if possible. Invasive species do great harm to both the land and the native wildlife that are not equipped to compete with more aggressive animals.

Michael

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to disagree. If it is a non native species that can harm the native wildlife it needs to be eradicated if possible. Invasive species do great harm to both the land and the native wildlife that are not equipped to compete with more aggressive animals.

Michael
This is it exactly. If hippies want to save the buffalo, I'm with them (almost) every step of the way. Hogs are an invasive species. Kill the damn things if you get a chance.
From another point of view, hogs have filled a bleeding heart niche which could help them inherit the earth.
Bleedingheartism is a part of nature too.

--T.H. Winslow

Latest posts

Top Bottom