SKS D model

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is it possibly the best answer for a battle carbine?
Contact distance out to 200yds or so..
I really like the AK but its accuracy aint the greatest..
I really like the sks but its 10rd internal box is well.. a 10 rd box that is kinda hard to top off.
Is the Norinco sks d the stick or just an afterthought..
Is the mechanical reliability as good as the Ak's with the accuracy potential of the sks?
If you have owned one or have shooting experience with one of these I would like to hear from you.
Thanks, T.P.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I own one and I can tell that it is a lot of fun to shoot.

However, I wouldn't call it the perfect blending of the two weapons.

The SKS just doesn't have the indestructible nature that the AK does. Your still going to have to deal with the floating firing pin issue that plagues all SKS guns, and the improved accuracy comes with higher tolerances, which takes away from the sloppy run forever tolerances of the AK.

While it has the potential to be slightly more accurate, your still going to have to deal with the fact that your most likely running lower grade Russian ammo through it, and even with a gun that features tighter tolerances and better design your not going to overcome the shortcoming of the round.

Also most SKS-D guns are PICKY about the mags they will take. Most won't feed euro mags reliably. Your going to need to find a nice stockpile of Chinnese AK mags which are going to run an extra $10 - $20 more per mag.

So yes, it's a great gun, and I would buy one long before buying a standard SKS, but it's not a replacement for the AK, it's just another good rifle chambered in 7.62x39.

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've posted this in a few other forums and the magazine issue that you've mentioned has come up several times.
The D seems to need the chinese ak mag in order to roll correctly.
Thanks

preokc

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The D models have the barrel shortened to 16 inches so i really dont see a big advantage as far as accuracy over an AK. Barrels are all pressed/pinned into the receiver instead of threaded and flanged like on most sks's. Not really a big factor but being in the mechanical field a flanged/threaded barrel would be superior to me. The locking bolt bolt design is strong so thats a plus although it doesnt incorparate a bolt hold open on the last shot like a standard sks.

I almost think a good russian or yugo sks would be more of what your want as there all milled construction makes them very solid. Plus ive had 20 round fixed mags before and after some practice they can be loaded realativly fast using stripper clips.

I think the D sks's with the thumb hole stock are pretty cool looking though.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've posted this in a few other forums and the magazine issue that you've mentioned has come up several times.
The D seems to need the chinese ak mag in order to roll correctly.
Thanks

Chinese mags feed with a VERY slight upward angle vs the standard euro and US mags.

The round tends to hang up in the feed ramp where the neck of the casing meetings the bullet snags the bottom lip of the ramp.

I've seen situations where people have dremmeled the euro magazine lips back a little to let the round float a little higher in the magazine.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally I think its the follower that creates the slight angle in the round loading into the gun.

But adjusting the lips in the euro mag compensates for the difference. I'll try to upload some pics if I get chance.

One of these days Ill test my theory with some chinnese followers in a euro mag and see what happens.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The D models have the barrel shortened to 16 inches so i really dont see a big advantage as far as accuracy over an AK. Barrels are all pressed/pinned into the receiver instead of threaded and flanged like on most sks's. Not really a big factor but being in the mechanical field a flanged/threaded barrel would be superior to me. The locking bolt bolt design is strong so thats a plus although it doesnt incorparate a bolt hold open on the last shot like a standard sks.

I almost think a good russian or yugo sks would be more of what your want as there all milled construction makes them very solid. Plus ive had 20 round fixed mags before and after some practice they can be loaded realativly fast using stripper clips.

I think the D sks's with the thumb hole stock are pretty cool looking though.

Actually, the D's have standard SKS stocks (with AK mag hardware) and 20 inch barrels. You're thinking of M's. Most M's have 16 inch barrels (one version is 20 inch) and either Thumbhole or Monte Carlo stocks.

I currently have a D (had it in the classified for a while) and have owned both 16 and 20 inch barreled M's. They're all good shooters. I personally have never had any trouble with European mags in my D or M's. But, I'm aware that others have.

preokc

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Actually, the D's have standard SKS stocks (with AK mag hardware) and 20 inch barrels. You're thinking of M's. Most M's have 16 inch barrels (one version is 20 inch) and either Thumbhole or Monte Carlo stocks.

I currently have a D (had it in the classified for a while) and have owned both 16 and 20 inch barreled M's. They're all good shooters. I personally have never had any trouble with European mags in my D or M's. But, I'm aware that others have.

Wow ive never seen a D model then. had acouple of these in the past but thought they were D models but guess i was wrong.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=157434383

found this sight and after years of collecting commie guns ive found a sks ive never seen.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=440.0

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally I think its the follower that creates the slight angle in the round loading into the gun.

But adjusting the lips in the euro mag compensates for the difference. I'll try to upload some pics if I get chance.

One of these days Ill test my theory with some chinnese followers in a euro mag and see what happens.

that and the chinese mags have no spine on the back

Latest posts

Top Bottom