SKS mag question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know much about SKS's but I kinda want one. My question is, can you take an SKS that takes the duckbill style mags and convert it to take AK mags?....if so, is it pretty easy to do or does it take some gunsmithing skills?

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It can be done but is not easy or always reliable and not recommended. Do a search as there are tons of posts out there about the conversion and even used to be pamphlets for sale on various auction sites about how to do it. My advice is to not even try to do it.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have both, and if you want one that takes AK mags, get an SKS-M or SKS-D.

BUT one thing you should know is that SKS guns that take AK mags are picky about the mags they want to work with.

You pretty much have to use a chinnese AK mag for them to feed properly. If someone tells you "any AK mag will work" don't believe them.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go here http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=56618.0 for one of many discussions on this subject. The general concensus is that this is simply not cost-effective.

I have an SKS-D (in the classifieds) which accomodates either Chinese or East European mags equally well.

Check on Gunbroker for several SKS-M's. There are no D's there, and rarely are. One real advantage to M's or D's is that you can use mags of different capacities, i.e., 5, 10, 30 rounders.

The cheapest alternative, which many people use, is to simply get Tapco 20 rd duckbill mags.

Jam Master Jay

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll second the Tapco 20 round mags. They're the only detachable magazine that works in an SKS (non SKS-D) that I've come across. I still don't recommend using them, though. I prefer to use the stripper clips in mine and my best bud went to the Tapco mag and then switched back to fixed because he got sick of messing with it. I also just prefer the original look and function of my SKS.

While I can see the advantage of a mag fed SKS (accuracy of an SKS with the reload of an AK), I would buy an AK instead, as the SKS-D's that I've seen for sale have been more expensive than an AK.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll second the Tapco 20 round mags. They're the only detachable magazine that works in an SKS (non SKS-D) that I've come across. I still don't recommend using them, though. I prefer to use the stripper clips in mine and my best bud went to the Tapco mag and then switched back to fixed because he got sick of messing with it. I also just prefer the original look and function of my SKS.

While I can see the advantage of a mag fed SKS (accuracy of an SKS with the reload of an AK), I would buy an AK instead, as the SKS-D's that I've seen for sale have been more expensive than an AK.

That's because there are so few D's, and a kazillion AK's. ;)

skyydiver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And IMO, the quality on any SKS I have handled has been better than the quality of the Romanian AKs I have handled. I would snatch up that D from Ronny if I had the cashola!

Latest posts

Top Bottom