Sleep paralysis...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Has anybody ever experienced this phenomenon?

I was asleep and was dreaming that I was walking in a very distinct part of my little Mayberry town, when I received a phone call from an unknown person. They told me there was a lion on the loose and I needed to be indoors.

I remember looking at my watch and a semi truck and trailer driving by. Then, I remember waking up, completely awake, but some strange force or being was holding me down and I couldn't get up.

It scared me more than the dream. Very spooky.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It happened to me all the time in college. Looking back, stress and sleeping on my back were the two largest drivers for when it would happen. 30 years later I still won't sleep on my back. Back then you couldn't just pull up Google and find out it was normal. It just felt evil and It scared the $#!t out of me.

One night while driving cross country I finally figured out what it was. Art Bell did a segment on Coast to Coast AM about sleep paralyses / night terrors and I was like BAM! That's it.

It runs in families so I've warned my kiddos just in case it happens to them someday. No need for them to think they might need an exorcist lol.

I can never understate how relieved I was to find out this is a completely normal function.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had it happen to me several times in my teens. I would wake up and be paralyzed. I would try to move a finger or toe to break the paralysis and if I could it snapped me out of it. My doctor said I was in a deep sleep and even though my mind was awake, my body had not woken up yet. It finally went away.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never experienced it, but I've have had the exact opposite, and more common, sleep walking. That is where the body is awake (at least that part of your brain) but your conscious side is sleeping. Happened a lot when I was 14-18. At the time I was on depakote for pubescent epilepsy. My neurologist wasn't sure if was the PE or the depakote that was causing it. As soon as I was taken off the meds it stopped.

Latest posts

Top Bottom