Small primer for 45 acp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m looking through load data, after load data, the repeat. The information for this beginner, is so overwhelming, I get confused easily.
For 45 acp, mostly I’ve found for large primers, the most common seems to be CCI 300, WLP, and Federal 150LP. Obviously primers are in limited supply, CCI 300 is becoming next to impossible to find. I found 200 ct of WLP at Academy, but H&H has zero LP primers. I have 85% LP, 15% SP, so I’m thinking I need to explore more components, due to the rarity of LP primers. So I have a couple of questions...

First, I’ve found zero load data for SP, so what would be the equivalent to LP, in both CCI 300 LP and Federal 150 LP?

Next, what is everyone’s “go to” SP for 45 acp?

If it helps, right now I have Titegroup and Red Dot. The Red Dot I bought solely because a lot of the videos I’ve watched for 45 acp, they were using Red Dot.
If components were in a big supply locally, I could go off of what I’ve seen and read. But, with the short supply of all things ammo, I am seeing very quickly I’m going to have to know more about SP loading.

Sorry for the “story book” post!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use CCI 500 for my small primers in 45acp. Same load data.

I did make some 45 shot shells from .308 cases and stupid me i used cci 200 primers which have a pretty hard cup.
Some would go off some would not.
Need a softer cup.

No idea about federal primer part number as I do not use federal but internet will turn up an answer quickly

James Abram

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You see no noticeable difference in the two primers. The CCI is 500, the Federal is 100, both are good. However, good luck finding SPP now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@cdschoonie if you Google "45 acp large primer vs small primer" you will come up with page after page of reading and even a couple Youtube videos on the subject.......some say that when using the same bullet and powder charge that they noticed no difference downrange between the two but some say that the POI changes and you suffer a 25 fps loss when using SP.

I'm old and set in my ways and I don't want to mess with SP in 45ACP and I toss it whenever I inadvertently pick some up on the range......luckily I've got a pretty good supply of LP 45ACP brass and LP primers.

Last edited:

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@cdschoonie if you Google "45 acp large primer vs small primer" you will come up with page after page of reading and even a couple Youtube videos on the subject.......some say that when using the same bullet and powder charge that they noticed no difference downrange between the two but some say that the POA changes and you suffer a 25 fps loss when using SP.

I'm old and set in my ways and I don't want to mess with SP in 45ACP and I toss it whenever I inadvertently pick some up on the range......luckily I've got a pretty good supply of LP 45ACP brass and LP primers.
I certainly will, thank you!

Latest posts

Top Bottom