Small rifle primers in small pistol... The results

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A bit off topic, since you specifically mention small primers, but never use large rifle primers in pistol caliber cartridges you intend on shooting in a lever action. Examples: .45Colt, .44-40Win.

You do not want high primers in a tubular magazine.

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really just shoot stacked mags. The only lever I load for is in 38/357. As few ad I shoot, small pistol will be used accordingly. 9mm is my most fired round with several thousand a month.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been going through small pistol primers like water. Having a number of small rifle I wanted to see what the results would be.

Loaded up some 9mm FMJ with my normal data (4.5gn Titegroup) and ran them through the chrono. Results were 20-30fps faster.

Loaded some lead with 4gn of WST and found 20fps faster.

No case stresses, no case damage of any kind. With such a minimal chance in velocity, I feel safe in loading my pistol the surplus of small rifle (5.56) primers I have.

I wanted to post this because I read on a number if forums a variety of opinions with out any real world experience.

My experience has been good for the first 500 rds of testing.

Anyone else have input?
I expereiced similar results when I mistakenly purchsed 100 SR primers instead of small pistol. In mild 40S&W loads ,ca 775-800 fps, with 155 to 180 gr jacketed bullets the SR spriemrs gave ca 20 fps more velocity than the same brand SP primers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom